Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Just not hungry...

Just not hungry...

OK, I have a great scrappy quilt top, I have designed the backing, I need to make the sandwich.

Can I? Can I buffalo! No, I just cannot build the appetite to make the sandwich. So I am putting down the challenge to complete it by Easter.

Am I the only one this happens to?

Nope. For me its a physical thing in making the sandwich so I find myself putting it off. It's always been the least fun thing about quilting for me.
    Erin

Nope. I hated making the sandwich with such a white hot passion. Now I frame quilt and don't need to worry about it. I can definitely sympathize with your dilemma. But the only way you will finish that quilt is to knuckle down and make the sandwich.

Power Poster
    Not fun but a necessary evil if you want to get it quilted.

I don't mind the sandwiching at all, now that I use the Sharon Schamber board method. But before that, it was absolutely grueling, so I can sympathize with you! Now my most hated quilting task (really the only thing I don't enjoy) is clipping threads on the back of the finished top.
    Lisa

I knew when I got back into quilting, that if I had to make "sandwiches" I'd never do it - having done a few ages ago when I was first married (30+ years ago).

So I bought a Bailey on a Gracie frame for about $3,000 and that solved the problem. I've upgraded to a HQ Fusion since. Though I have to admit I like piecing more than quilting - as evidence that I have over 20 floppies waiting to be quilted.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

No, I have a number of tops that are sitting because the sandwich is my least favorite part.
    Lori

trying to stay grateful

Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    I don't mind the sandwiching at all, now that I use the Sharon Schamber board method. But before that, it was absolutely grueling, so I can sympathize with you! Now my most hated quilting task (really the only thing I don't enjoy) is clipping threads on the back of the finished top.
    That's my experience too. Sharon Schamber's method is terrific. And the more you do it, the faster you get. Absolutely no tucks or wrinkles on the backing.

If I had to crawl on the floor I would probably delay the sandwiching indefinitely.
    But using a few sawhorses and a piece of plywood covered with canvas, I don't
    mind the sandwiching at all. I glue baste most of the time.

Blog Entries
    I also loathed preparing the quilt. It was a part of my decision to purchase a long arm. Don't know if there are any long arm quilters in your area, but many offer a quilt basting service for a nominal fee. You deliver the top, batting (wadding?) and back in 3 pieces and they put it together & baste it.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast