Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just an observation... >

Just an observation...

Just an observation...

Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 PM

Went into a quilt shop in Vegas yesterday and was a little shocked.

All the finished quilts hanging on the walls had very obvious mistakes. Points that didn't match up big time, sashing that was off 1/8" to 1/4", etc.

I went home wondering why I'm so hard on myself. Now maybe I can get more done faster and pretty sure I can do better than them! I guess I just expected better pieced quilts when hanging in a shop for all to see.

Karen
Old 03-12-2010, 12:53 PM

I understand what you're saying. I saw a quilt on Fons and Porter's tv show a while back, and was surprised when they showed a close up and the center points were off by 1/4". I guess I expected more than that when you know the world (or at least us quilters) are going to be looking. tee hee
Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 PM

well that makes me feel better! I look at some of the quilts posted here and then at mine and think "I shouldn't even be trying to say I'm a quilter!" Course I've only made 4 lap quilts and 1 twin quilt so far so I've got room for improvement. I know every single little mistake in my quilts though and think they must be glaringly obvious to anyone who sees them. I keep thinking about joining the guild here but I know they must all be so much better than me that's its intimidating.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Definitely don't feel bad about being hard on yourself. My husband and I went to a quilt show and he spent the whole time comparing the quilts displayed to my quilts. He kept commenting "the points don't match on that one, the seams are wrong on that one, this one cut the points off"
I guess my perfectionism and OCD when I'm quilting have rubbed off on him! Nice that he notices my quilts though.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

When I first started quilting I was self taught. I decided it was easier to cut all the points off so I wouldn't have to worry about them. I made several quilts with blunt end stars and everyone thought the quilts were great. I've gotten better and my points do come to a point now.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
When I first started quilting I was self taught. I decided it was easier to cut all the points off so I wouldn't have to worry about them. I made several quilts with blunt end stars and everyone thought the quilts were great. I've gotten better and my points do come to a point now.
I love that idea... It was supposed to be like that. tee hee LOL!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:06 PM

I made lots of mistakes when I was a newbie...you get better over time. I always sew, piece, etc. fast, so made many errors. Today I can still go fast but less errors. It's all in the practice time, I think.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:11 PM

"My husband and I went to a quilt show and he spent the whole time comparing the quilts displayed to my quilts. He kept commenting "the points don't match on that one, the seams are wrong on that one, this one cut the points off".

laughing....we've got to stop teaching our family and friends about points and seams not matching.... then when we make a mistake, they won't notice.
:lol:

My family is very educated about quilts too. They notice if my points are lost in the seam ..... dang...I shouldn't have taught them that....
Old 03-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

I have been quilting for 30 yrs and I sell my stuff. But I still have points that get lost no matter how many times I try to fix it! Noone is perfect. There are always mistakes I can point out in my stuff. My criteria is can I live with it? If the answer is yes it stays that way!! I don't think anybody but me really notices my mistakes. But I sure know they are there!!

One time I made a hotpad that had a pinwheel like design and one of the blades was in upside down and completely disconnected from the rest of the pinwheel. But I did't notice it til I had the hotpad completely quilted down!! No way I could undo it at that stage!! I showed it to the store owner and she bought it anyway. Someone bought it from the store so either they didn't notice it was wrong or they didn't care!! LOL It jumped out at me like a sore thumb!! Maybe they thought I did it on purpose! LOL
Old 03-12-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
Definitely don't feel bad about being hard on yourself. My husband and I went to a quilt show and he spent the whole time comparing the quilts displayed to my quilts. He kept commenting "the points don't match on that one, the seams are wrong on that one, this one cut the points off"
I guess my perfectionism and OCD when I'm quilting have rubbed off on him! Nice that he notices my quilts though.
You have a great husband there! Not only will h go to a quilt show with you, but it's obvious he really admires your skill.