Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Just out of curiosity

So just out of curiosity, how does everyone come up with thier patterns? I use 1-2-3-Quilt! with the patterns and blocks. I love it because it calculates yardage and everything for me. THe only problem I've found is that sometimes I'll find a block I want to do and it doesn't have it ni there, so I can't calculate the fabric as easily.

How does everyone else get their ideas?

I usually buy patterns at quilt shops, or get them from magazines or books. The yardage is there for me. I have not made a quilt using blocks I found online.

I've made quilts from online block patterns, magazines, books and patterns bought from shops!

I have owned a copy of EQ5 for several years, but only just installed it on my computer a week or two ago! LOL My son wanted a very simple quilt that was easy for me (a total beginner with EQ5) to design. It's so cool because that gives me fabric yardages too!

Drafting paper and a ruler.

Oh I make mine up as I go. Sometimes I use Quilter's Cache, but I always have DH to help me with the math. For my bday he bought me a quilter's calc, but some of the math on the 60 degree diamonds needs a personal effort.

If it is a baby quilt, I try to go by the expected Mom's Theme. Then I usually design it. I draw and color so I can get a good resemblence of what I want. Sometimes I use EQ5,but if it is a simple one I just use drafting or sometimes just plain old copy paper. THE BIG QUILTS I use a pattern. I love the planning and designing of quilt making.
    Bill'sBonBon

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I do the good old algebra and calculate what I need.

I steal ideas from all the wonderful quilters here :):):):)

Power Poster
    I bought fabric by the yards, and then I hope for the best.

Really not the best way to do things, but when I saw something great on sale, I grabbed it. Sometimes everything comes together perfectly.

I use EQ 5 and it has saved me so much money since I suck at measuring and estimating. Case in point...before I got EQ5 I was going to make a baby quilt using 3 Pooh fabrics. I got like 4 or 5 yards of each fabric. That's a LOT of flippin' fabric for one baby quilt!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast