Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just a 'thing' I have about quilts (labels)..... >

Just a 'thing' I have about quilts (labels).....

Just a 'thing' I have about quilts (labels).....

Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 AM

I always put a machine embroidered label on my quilts, large or small. The information I put on is the name of the quilt, designer, name of the person getting the quilt & reason for gift, my name as piecer/designer, date made, LAQ name, name of DH as the funder of the quilt. I also use a poem found in a making labels book-Those Who Sleep- Under a Quilt- Sleep Under- A Blanket of Love. I really like the look of the machine embroidered label and also add embroidered needle/thread or a spool of thread/needle. I guess that everyone needs to do it the way they like it and not worry what someone else believes is the right way. So if you don't like labels go for it---
Old 04-24-2013, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by gramquilter2 View Post
I always put a machine embroidered label on my quilts, large or small. The information I put on is the name of the quilt, designer, name of the person getting the quilt & reason for gift, my name as piecer/designer, date made, LAQ name, name of DH as the funder of the quilt. I also use a poem found in a making labels book-Those Who Sleep- Under a Quilt- Sleep Under- A Blanket of Love. I really like the look of the machine embroidered label and also add embroidered needle/thread or a spool of thread/needle. I guess that everyone needs to do it the way they like it and not worry what someone else believes is the right way. So if you don't like labels go for it---
Well said!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by sulyle View Post
I'll start signing it so my ancestors can see my actual signature.
I think you might mean your descendants... hee hee ..
Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by annee View Post
I do not like labels. I believe they take away from the work that has been done. They are usually gaudy. The idea of personally signing the quilt and the year it was made, I think would be very special to the person receiving the quilt>
I thought that labels detracted too, until I made a very special bed quilt for my daughter and I wanted to label it. It will be hers forever, I made it with all my love, and I wanted my sentiments on the quilt, not in some little gift card with washing instructions. I made sure that it was a nice size, cleverly positioned in a corner on the back, with special thread and backing color and done by Sewnsewer2[ATTACH=CONFIG]409810[/ATTACH]. It is like a little hug and kiss for her every time she looks at it.

I am now doing a quilt for my son's sweetheart and I think I will try the hand embroidery signature if I can manage it - I learned embroidery as a child and have not done it since! How hard can it be? haha.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_3696.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
I'm probably alone on this, but I don't put any label on my quilts. If the person I give it to passes it along to someone else down the road, someone who doesn't know me, I don't want that person to see my name or the name of the person for whom it was made. The quilt becomes that person's quilt. I guess for me the quilt takes on a life of its own and makes its journey, and I don't feel any need to be part of that...

ust me!
I am with you on this, when I give a quilt away, I am done with it and move on.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 AM

I started signing my quilt labels by hand and use my given name, maiden name, married name plus date & city. Doggone it I want others to know who put so much work in that quilt! Most of mine are given to family & close friend. Just me.
I have two quilts my grandmother made and I had to just guess what year, one was in 1930 something and the other was sometime before her death in 1954. My mother's were the same way. She never signed any of her quilts. I did go back and label these quilts and put my guestimated date on them.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 AM

I also sign & hand embroidery my name and date fiinished on my quilts.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 AM

I do labels various ways. I have signed some, I have embroidered some, I have stamped some. I think it is a good idea to embroider a signature for a special quilt, but I wouldn't bother doing that for most of mine. It takes me too long to embroider.

I have used pigma pens a lot, and the quilt I gave my son when he was 2 (he is now 5) has been washed MANY times, more than most quilts get washed in a lifetime, I think and it is still legible. One of my first quilts that was labeled with a sharpie, on the other hand, is badly faded after just a few washes. Embroidery doesn't last forever, either. My husband has a quilt his grandmother hand-embroidered for him when he was a child, and some of the stitching has become frayed and washed away over the years, too.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 AM

Thank you - great idea. I will do that from now on. I think of my quilts as my heritage - maybe the only thing that I will be remembered by in 2 or 3 generations.

And since cursive is not going to be taught in schools any more, maybe I should also print my name so future generations can read it - LOL.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM

A label is to give information, so what difference does it make if someone machine embroidery it. It will probably last longer!