Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just thinking or dreaming >

Just thinking or dreaming

Just thinking or dreaming

Old 05-21-2012, 07:47 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have embroidery on my sewing machine, but the dealer only showed me once how to use it. And then I didn't go home and practice. I need to go back and take another class and come home and practice, practice, practice.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I have embroidery on my sewing machine, but the dealer only showed me once how to use it. And then I didn't go home and practice. I need to go back and take another class and come home and practice, practice, practice.
Did you get this machine to behave properly? It seems that you are/were not alone with having problems with it.

That Bernina 830 looked intimidating to me! I would needs lots of instruction to make it do even 'some' of what it is supposed to be able to do.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM

I bought an embroidery machine last fall and even though I spent a lot I'm so glad I have it. I knew that I'd get bored really fast with a 4x4 or even a 7x7 hoop so I wanted more. Even though I was just starting out I wanted a machine that would be waiting for me to grow into instead of me growing out of. Mine does so much more than alot of machines. This past week I took a class for the cutwork needles where the special needles go back and cut the fabric from the design to make the lace or cutouts. If you've ever seen the Viking dress that has those gorgeous flowers with the cutouts that's how they are done; machine, not by hand. Check out a few and even though it's tempting to make the price the biggest factor it can't be the only one because you'll start off excited and the get frustrated with all that you can't do as you learn more. Good luck on your choice. They are a great thing to go with the quilting.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 AM

I have a machine with the 4 x 4 hoop....it sits unused because I have found that what I want to do requires a larger hoop.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:35 AM

The dealer I bought from didn't carry anything smaller than the 780D. That's the one I got, it has the 5x7 hoop. I've had it two weeks now and just love it. With a few minutes of instructions, and one weekend of playing, I am producing things I never knew i could do. It's great!! My machine is embroidery only. I love it that way because I can be sewing while it is working. I do not regret my purchase. So far its done all I've wanted. The software for creating monograms was more than I wanted to pay, but I did it anyway. Figured, If I was going to do it, do it. Now i just have to study to figure the software out. Shouldn't have to upgrade for a while. I just wanted to be able to compliment my quilting with some embroidered blocks every now and then!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:04 AM

I want to make my own labels. I think this would be perfect for them. I cannot get the wal mart site who sellsthen to take me to check out. Will try later.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM

I agree with those who say to go bigger than a 4 x 4 hoop. I had a Janome 9000 and now I have a Janome 10001. It came with 4 hoops ranging from 2 x 2 to 10 x 10 and I LOVE it. I quickly found that the small hoop severely limited what I could do. Even if you only want to make labels, you will be pushing it to get much in a hoop that small. I would go for the big one!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:07 PM

I have a Singer Futura CE200 which has a 5X7" hoop and also a 4X4"...I love it, although a lot of people don't. I have never had a problem with mine and would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:38 PM

Ditto what LynnVT said about the size of the hoop. That is the smallest available and you probably will want to make larger designs. I know I could not be happy with that size. Before you buy checkout the Singer Quantum Futura machines. They cost in the $700 range, but they can do so much more. Check out www.Singer.com and take a look at least. I have no affiliation with Singer but I have the machine and I love it. It is my workhorse!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:48 AM

I ordered this machine from Wal-Mart yesterday. I would love a bigger hoop one---but the reality is that this is what I can afford. I donated 80 quilts last year to charity and know that I can make a suitable label using the 4 x 4 size. I worry that a handwritten one will fade with time and many of the Quit Of Valor ones I donated are destined to become family heirlooms.