Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just tried this >

Just tried this

Just tried this

Old 07-03-2015, 05:27 AM

As I read this post, I believe she is using a longarm machine. Hand quilting thread is more linty than machine quilting thread. Don't know if it is coated or not, but I would hesitate to use anything but thread specified for longarm quilting. I have been using my odd spools of thread for piecing, color doesn't really matter so am happy to use up those odds and ends.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
I think I have a lifetime supply of thread. Was just starting to pantograph a quilt. I needed a beige thread and of course I didn't have any except two spools of hand quilting thread I had bought by mistake. I put in a size 18 needle & tired it ( it was the exact color). I've done 6 rows so far and I'm really liking my stitches. Oh, I also used a really fine thread in the bobbin.
If it works, do it. You can put anything in the bobbin.
And if it works as the top thread, carry on.
I've put fine knitting yarn on the bobbin and sewn from the wrong side. That puts the pattern "in yarn" on the right side.
The Eldredge Two Spool has a spool winder so you can put anything you like on the second spool. The manual shows how to do it.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

For every No you can't there are dozens of quilting/sewing blogs showing using crochet cotton, wool thread, embroidery floss, any type of thread products in machines.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:37 AM

You can do bobbin work, and use those heavier threads in the bobbin. But not in the needle / top thread.

As a sewing machine mechanic, I've seen too many problems and damage done by using these threads.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:54 AM

Glad to hear others jump in about the possible damage to your thread. I found a spool of this stuff in my stash and don't know where it came from but decided to use it for hand sewing the binding to the back of the quilt I was working on. It sewed great and I think it knotted up less too. Its back on the thread rack for the next time I need this color thread for hand binding.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:56 AM

If you used it AND it was fine, then use it.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:12 AM

I recently did a canopy for a swing and use C&C outdoor thread for sewing and I think that it was thicker than hand quilting thread, had to use 18 needle.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
I think I have a lifetime supply of thread. Was just starting to pantograph a quilt. I needed a beige thread and of course I didn't have any except two spools of hand quilting thread I had bought by mistake. I put in a size 18 needle & tired it ( it was the exact color). I've done 6 rows so far and I'm really liking my stitches. Oh, I also used a really fine thread in the bobbin.
I will have to try this my self i love the look of hand sewing. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

I use hand quilting thread to sew on bindings. Years ago I use to hand quilt.