Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just wondering if..... >

Just wondering if.....

Just wondering if.....

Old 07-03-2012, 03:23 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I love the block everyone is doing. I am going to make one now. I think it is so nice looking. Thanks everyone for sharing their blocks!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
In Jan'08, I suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car accident. I think the docs put me in the 'miracle' category. It seems like I got back my love, and ability to sew.
Right after the accident, the nuclear power school down in Charleston, for the Navy, let my son, who was a 'student' there, come to see me. I have no recollection of that.
That, plus being able to sew, made me think, there must have been a reason things turned out so well, so I looked into the Quilts of Valor program. I never actually contacted them, because one thing that happened during the accident, is that I just do not do well with deadlines of any kind (my husband is really good at not expecting dinner to be at dinnertime) This was a couple of months ago. Plus, I HATE people depending on me to do something and I was afraid that might happen.

Background history - I raised basenjis, and sent my girl down to VA to be bred. Of course I wouldn't have sent her if I did not feel totally comfortable with the gal, and I do remember a few of years ago she said on the basenji list, how proud she was of her son, he had joined the army. I honestly cannot remember if it was before or after my accident.
Then, a few days ago, it seemed she just said it in passing, she mentioned on the basenji list, that he had a traumatic brain injury from an IED while he was over in Afghanistan, and how his wife is such a good wife.
That was it, what I was to do now! So right now I'm going through patterns to decide what to make for him. I have told no one that I plan to do this until now, so there are no deadlines. Perfect!
I also learned they had a couple of basenjis from their mom, so I'm thinking of a quilt, with a basenji on the label.

It's just by chance it all happened around the 4th, but I am planning to make it a red, white and blue themed quilt
I don't do deadlines good either. I hate them. It seems to turn something I love into a job. You have an amazing story. Good luck to you!!! Hope you improve with time. My hubby wouldn't know what to do if he ate regular either. heheheh! Good luck on your project. Sounds wonderful!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
OOPs! So sorry about the double post. Actually didn't know how to correct it.
LOL!

Another result of the brain injury is short term memory problems, so I often repeat myself, not sure if I already said something.
Let's just say I didn't read the first one, I won't know any different!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:27 PM

I made a small tabletopper in response to Piecemaker's challenge and posted about my problems with quilting it but the QB moved my post to Pictures. Thanks, Piecemaker, for commenting on it, by the way. I'm going to see if I can also post a photo here. I'd never used this pattern before; it was fun to make. Thanks for looking![ATTACH=CONFIG]349559[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]349560[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 4th-tabletopper-mistywood-pics-019.jpg   4th-tabletopper-mistywood-pics-020.jpg  
Old 07-21-2012, 06:01 PM

You are welcome. I still think its terrific!! This pattern is great isn't it?
Old 07-21-2012, 07:30 PM
jme

I made my aunt a red, white, and blue log cabin quilt because she hosts our family pic-nic every year. I also made me and my 2 step daughters matching skirts.