Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just wondering.... >

Just wondering....

Just wondering....

Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Default Just wondering....

How much fabric loss is there by using the cutting machines like Go Baby and Accuquilt? I realize you have to give a little to get a little. But, just how much fabric waste is there? I'm kinda stingy with my fabric but I'm also stingy with my time. I've been talking to hubby about getting one. Sure would like to know if I'm barking up a tree that I might wish I hadn't.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 AM

See the thread going on right now called Accuquilt - Worth It? for a good discussion on this system and likes and dislikes and fabric usage.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:54 PM

I here it is about the same as the rotary cutter
Old 03-29-2012, 06:09 PM

Ya only live once... take the leap and buy it!! Okay... one thing I would do is to research the available die cuts and decide which ones you want and then add up the cost and think about storage.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned

do your homework before jumping into the cutting machine pool!
READ tons of articles, watch a few videos and tutorials, and go to the ihaveanotion dot com site!

Some waste, and some don't, just depends on how well you learn to use what you have!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

Why fret over it? My quilting life is too short to worry about how much fabric I could have saved and not had the fun of using a neat tool. I have about 1/4" waste around the die if I really want to fuss with exact placement. I don't mind big scraps because I recut them using smaller die shapes.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:45 PM

Thanks. I did read the other thread and that is when I came up with this question because no one had mentioned it at the time I read it. I did get a lot of useful info off that thread though. And, I'll keep checking it. I may just take the leap and get one. I'm getting lazy in my old age.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:56 PM

I also did a google search on your question prior to deciding I would like an Accuquilt Go...found a lot of great info, and actually found that the scraps are about the same as rotary cutting. I also found some videos of gals showing how they managed the scraps that were left after using their Accuquilt...here are a couple of the videos on youtube,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvdATmI3wFI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gDYvBm0j_k
Lastly, I got my Accuquilt Go as a gift from dh and our son, they purchased it on Amazon, and it came with several extra dies, here is a link to it:
http://www.amazon.com/AccuQuilt-Mix-...3079378&sr=8-4. It is more expensive now, and back around Christmas when I got it, it was free shipping, too...but I know the prices change periodically.
Good luck in your research,
Kif
Old 03-29-2012, 11:48 PM

This is a video for using waste also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gDYv...eature=related She has lots of videos on using the go and studio and baby on youtube. I believe she works for them or something, associated some-how.

I find if you are careful you don't have a lot of waste. You have to prepare your fabric before hand as in washing or not, ironing and getting it a good size for the cutter you are using. Straight of grain is important also. So check out some videos. I love my Studio and it is good on my hands.