Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Karen Stone Clamshell >

Karen Stone Clamshell

Karen Stone Clamshell

Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 AM

Default Karen Stone Clamshell

Hi Everyone -

I looked up this topic and see another thread where it was discussed but my question wasn't quite answered there.

I want to make this quilt by Karen Stone: http://www.quiltmuseum.org/images/wo.../stonefull.jpg

I have her book and have talked to EQ about two CDs she has out, but none of those publications have the pattern or instructions. I know KS teaches this pattern in workshops but does anyone know how to make it or what to use as a base pattern?

I see that it is a clamshell pattern, but I can't figure out how the clamshells are facing IE are they all appliqued onto each other or is she sewing blocks of shells and then rotating the blocks so they fit like kaleidoscopes? Or just how is she organizing the patterns of shells?

Thanks for any ideas...

Lainey
Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 AM

I just examined this quilt with a magnifier and it seems like it's just clamshells radiating out in a circle from a center group of four - do people agree?

So in that case, are the all attached via hand appliqué? So there is muslin behind?

Lainey
Old 10-17-2013, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I just Googled her and it looks like you would have to go to the workshop to find out. Looks to me like if you would put 2 clamshells together to where they form a circle by interlocking then to me it looks paper-pieced sort of. I'm not that advanced/experienced but that's what it looks like to me. Sorry I can't be of more help. I have a template for a clamshell. I'm going to play around with it and see what happens. Hope you get more help but Google and see what you might find. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

The traditional Clamshell pattern is usually hand pieced. To find out how she does hers you would need to take her workshop. Why not do it how you wish to do it? Design the interior of your clamshells and then either traditionally piece them together or appliqué them together.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I would guess that each complicated part of a circle is paper pieced, and then the arcs are machine sewn together. I'd love to take that class.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

speaking of her, Planet Patchwork is closing down and having some things on sale. one is a book by her.,
Old 10-18-2013, 09:53 AM

I've attended one of her workshops, she is terrific. I can recommend it for anyone. Sorry, I don't remember how to do clamshells, it's been a while.