Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keep Your LQS in Business >

Keep Your LQS in Business

Keep Your LQS in Business

Old 07-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Here in New Hampshire, I found out this week that two quilt shops are closed and moving their inventories either online or to other shops in the area, and another has cut their inventory.

We don't have a huge number of shops in NH, many of them are small and are really struggling during these hard times.

I implore all of us to try and keep our local quilt shops going. Frequent them when you can, get the word out to other quilters and sewers to do the same, contact your sewing guilds to have their meetings or special events there during the year, take part in a shop hop!

Let's do are part board members!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 AM

oh no, i used to live in NH, which shops are closing?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Google Goddess

I agree we need to support our Local Quilt Shops (LQS)

I just went and completed my 1st shop hop a few weeks ago in Shipshewana, Indiana (8 quilt shops) was fun as this was during the time that I had set up my 3rd Meet and Greet. I got to meet more Quilting Board members! Thank you all again for coming.

We had so much fun!

Craftybear
Old 07-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Peggy Anne's in Concord, and Little Lambs Quilt Shop in Barrington are closed/ closing. Checkerberries in Northwood is the shop that inventory is down, but they are looking at carrying some new lines of fabrics.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 AM

I wish I could support my one (not so L) LQS. She charges upwards of $15 a yard for cotton fabric. I just can't afford that, and she won't let my DD who's 2 in her "pristine" shop because she's afraid of sticky fingers.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:34 AM

I love LQS fabrics,along with some goodies not seen in diff shops,but I can't afford to keep them in business,no matter how nice the fabric is.

I only shop good sales & clearaces.....regardless if it's a LQS or on line store.JMO
Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM

I believe it is those of us who buy the little things in a shop that keeps it afloat , even if your not out there buying large quanities of fabric, theres usually a sales area or a fat quarter , thread something. even if you only spend a 1.00 its more than they had a moment ago.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM

I sure can understand where you are coming from. I too would love to buy only from the LQS but I just can't afford the prices of most of their fabrics. I have to be a very wise buyer when it comes to fabric and accessories for quilts I make. We do have one QS that is offering a good discount if we spend at least $50.00 at a time. It really is nice when a QS offers some good specials now and then. Of course I hate to see quilt stores closing because they aren't getting enough business but they aren't the only ones dealing with the price increases on everything from food to gas. A lot of us have our heads spinning because of rapid price increases. We can only do the best we can and if that means being wise buyers that is what has to be done.

Originally Posted by plainpat
I love LQS fabrics,along with some goodies not seen in diff shops,but I can't afford to keep them in business,no matter how nice the fabric is.

I only shop good sales & clearaces.....regardless if it's a LQS or on line store.JMO
Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

i have always watched the budget. in the 70s-80s, i considered myself to be middle class. taxes and inflation havebeen horrible and real estate investments that used to be good have now been losses. now i feel that i am just barely hanging on to lower middle class. times are tough for everyone. of course we hate to see LQSs go out of business. but we can't blow the budget to keep someone else in business when it is difficult to get by for ourselves. all i can say is that i'm sorry to hear of their tough times.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 AM

I too think its not my responsibly to keep someone in business. I like going to LQS but if they want to stay viable in this tough market with rising commodity prices then they need to maybe find away to broaden their demographic market.

Offer more entry level classes, allow kids and husbands to come in the store or at least not make then feel like outcast for being there. Offer sales and special rewards. Offer some cheap basic level classes to get new people interested. And maybe "gasp" find some cheaper lines to offer those that can not pay 10+ a yard. If they can not get good prices on their own then they need to reach out to other LQS and form a co-op and have buying power together

but those are just my thoughts. Like I said I like going but I cannot afford more then 5$ or so a yard for most of my quilts