Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping blocks in order off of design wall >

Keeping blocks in order off of design wall

Keeping blocks in order off of design wall

Old 03-19-2015, 01:21 PM

Default Keeping blocks in order off of design wall

Argh! For the life of me every time I try to take my blocks off to stitch them, I cannot keep them in the right order! Please share your secrets to keeping them in order off the design wall!
Old 03-19-2015, 01:32 PM

I use sticky notes and number the blocks. Then I put the note at the top of the block so I know which is the top.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

I take tiny scraps about 1" width and cut into squares and use a permanent marker to number the blocks. Great way to use up those tiny scraps. I am working on this quilt right now
Attached Thumbnails number-fabric.jpg  
Old 03-19-2015, 01:45 PM

I pin them together as I take them off the wall and put them back on the wall when I am finished sewing that seam.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

In the kids craft section at Michaels I found plastic numbers and letters that can be strung for a necklace or bracelet. I use the letters for the rows and numbers for the blocks and string the letters/numbers on safety pins and pin to each block.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by imsewnso View Post
I pin them together as I take them off the wall and put them back on the wall when I am finished sewing that seam.
that's the way i do also. i do scrap quilts w bazillions of pieces in each block. lay the patches for the block on a piece of felt so i can remember the order i want them in. stitch the block and put on design wall in wanted position as i finish them. then i usually move them around a bit til i'm happy w the color mix and pin each block side to side and stitch row, replace on wall and do next row of blocks. i have no problems. did a scrap quilt couple years ago w gifted fabric and scraps. 2" cut, too small to wash, so pieced the blocks, took pick of design wall w desired layout using my ipad. rinsed the blocks w colorcatchers & got storage smells and bleeders cared for, then i reassembled the blocks back on design wallusing ipad pic for placement reference. this idea also works for replacing blocks in appropriate positions when happy doggy tails dislodge some before i start sewing all together.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
In the kids craft section at Michaels I found plastic numbers and letters that can be strung for a necklace or bracelet. I use the letters for the rows and numbers for the blocks and string the letters/numbers on safety pins and pin to each block.
I LOVE this idea!!!!!

Mahalo!

I created a chart to reprint as necessary. The rows are numbers and the columns are letters. Print. Cut. Pin.

Your idea is much nicer. *LOL* It's also "greener"! No wasted expensive printer ink. No wasted paper. And, ha ha, no wasted energy cutting out all those little squares.

Our local Long's carries those cool little numbers & letters.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:23 PM

Right now I use pieces of scrap paper and pins. I am going to be looking for those numbers and letters at Michaels!!
Old 03-19-2015, 02:52 PM

Some company makes straight pins with numbered heads. I can't remember who makes them but they come in a clear flat round container. They were a little pricey but if you could find them with a coupon might be fine.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

I have plastic markers that my sister gave me. They say what row and block they are, and get pinned to each block. Then I write on a paper what direction I am counting in so that I do not get confused.
Attached Thumbnails harvest.jpg  

Last edited by Boston1954; 03-19-2015 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added picture