Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping fabric tight when quilting >

Keeping fabric tight when quilting

Keeping fabric tight when quilting

Old 05-21-2007, 06:43 AM

I have tried used quilting pins (safety type), basting with thread, ironing after doing this and I still am having a problem with when I go to quilt the whole piece, that I have puckers in the back on the fabric. No matter how flat I get the back, smooth out the batting, then iron and smooth out the top, I have a problem. I have spray but haven't used it yet, as you have to have ventalition and it's expensive. I am so frustrated that I spend more time taking out the mess I have made and this in turn makes me unhappy about the whole process. Can anyone give me a hint? thanks.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:54 AM

Hi dillysnana
Are you machine quilting or hand quilting if you are handquilting try using a frame and if you are machine quilting make sure the project is well pinned.
Hope this helps Wilma
Old 05-21-2007, 06:58 AM

Even after you've pinned or basted the layers together sometimes it needs redoing. If you start quilting in the middle and work your way out, then when you come to a point when it starts slipping here and there take your pins out and adjust then repin. Always allow extra batting and backing for just in cases. Hope this helps. Also if your ironing don't iron back and forth, this will stretch the top. Press going up and down.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:50 AM

i use the spray and pins also, just make sure to open the window and don't just stay there and do the whole thing at one time, do a little, take a break and walk outside for a couple of minutes then go back and do some more. your back will appreciate it too. just use a light spray on the backing then put the batting on top and a lite spray on it then put on the top. it takes a while to get it all done but it's worth it.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:48 AM

I am working on a lap quilt now and part of it was hand quilted and part machine quilted. I agree, the spray is the way to go. It amkes it so much easier, evn if you pin afterwards, helps keep the slipping to a minimum!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:20 AM

Yup... Spray lightly then pin... Works 99.9% of the time. The good thing about the spray is if you notice slippage after a few days of working on the same projuct, just use your iron to press (not slide) the area where the fabric has turned loose and the spray is re-activated.

Good luck! Don't let it frustrate you, & PLEASE don't give up. The problem you are having is not uncommon, but easily fixed.

Hope this helps... If not, come back... We'll just try to make you laugh instead of helping you quilt. Some days, one is just as good as the other!! :D
Old 05-24-2007, 03:51 PM

You didn't say how or where you are layering your quilt. I know for sure if you do not fasten the back layer down securely you will get puckers every time. I have unbased a few times my self. I do like the spray baste, just open a window and turn on a fan for a little while.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:31 PM

I spray baste and the spray I use holds great.. no need for pins.. no slippage.. and it lasts until the quilt is washed! I have sprayed a quilt, rolled it up and let it sit for a week before I was able to start quilting it and it did great!

I actually baste mine outside. I have done it on my patio. Cleaned it off and covered with a kingsize sheet. Now I use 3 folding tables. Much easier on the back!

Barb C.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:29 PM

My way is probably not the most desirable to most people but I will gladly share my methods... I have hardwood floors, so I lay my backing down and use masking tape to keep it secure and taut (not stretched). Then spray the backing, roll out the batting, spray again, then roll out the top. I use a 4 ft. long, 1" wooden dowell to smooth each layer before spraying, which works great & saves the back & knees. (this is a trick I learned while working in a uniform manufacturing company spreading out the fabric for the pieces to be cut from) If it is a quilt larger than a full size, I will pin baste in addition to the spray because it takes me more than a couple of weeks to complete the quilting. On a full or smaller I just use the spray.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:25 AM

I have never used the spray baste. Does Joanns carry it. Does it gunk up the needle and can you hand quilt with it?