Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping scrappy tablerunner blocks in order >

Keeping scrappy tablerunner blocks in order

Keeping scrappy tablerunner blocks in order

Old 09-22-2013, 10:29 AM

Default Keeping scrappy tablerunner blocks in order

I'm working on a scrappy tablerunner that has lots of small blocks and rectangles that I wanted to keep in pecular order that I had laid them out in. So I laid them out on a piece of flannel slightly wider and longer than what the runner would be. I rolled up the flannel starting at one short end and as I sew the pieces together I can unroll flannel; and everything is in the right order just like I placed them. And when I got tired of working on the runner, I placed the sewn blocks back on the flannel in the right direction so I know where the next row should go. Hadn't sewn on the runner in several days but I knew exactly where I was and what row of blocks would be next. And the rolled up flannel doesn't take up as much on my limited sewing area.

I don't have room for a flannel wall and the rolled-up flannel is just the right size for smaller projects which is what I like to work on most anyway. Chris
Old 09-22-2013, 10:32 AM
yel

chris ...good idea ...sometime i use a bath towel ..
Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 AM

I use jigsaw piece holders. I prefer the large flat one which has two flaps that open up. The only problem it is too large to transport pieces to class.
One plus ? Of the ladies in the class I go followed the First Lady who had a brainwave. She numbers all the rows and pins one row together in a neat little pile. She tha wraps them carefully , pressed and starched in kitchen foil. Keeps them flat . Does this to all her rows. A few of us have followed her example.it stops creases keeps in order and stops any form of fraying.her blocks always look perfect as if she had just ironed etc.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 AM

I often take a picture of how I have laid them out - just in case!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:45 AM

Great Idea! And so is the photo.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:25 AM

Chris, thank you so much for this hint. I will be starting a project this week that has a lot of small pieces and I was concerned about keeping them in order. You have solved my problem and made my day.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:20 PM

The kitchen foil idea is great one too! Thanks for all your comments, and Betty, I'm glad I posted when I did! Late this evening, I was rounding up everything to take to my quilting group in the morning, I was able to just stick the flannel roll in the bag. Take care and have a great week! Chris
Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 AM

Great ideas! I usually take a picture with my iPad and refer back to it as needed. I also do this when I sew patches on my daughter's Girl Scout vest.