Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kennel quilts >

Kennel quilts

Kennel quilts

Old 02-23-2014, 05:30 AM

Default Kennel quilts

What size do you make a kennel quilt for a vet's office or animal shelter? Or there any specifications? Rules?
Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 AM

Sorry I suppose it would depend on the size of dog. Toys 20 inches St. Bernard single bed. Really no idea.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I would reach out to the shelter to find out what they need....
Old 02-23-2014, 06:26 AM

I'm not sure I'd make them for a vet without asking first. To keep things sterile after use they may not use anything but towels that can be washed/bleached and they might even send their linens out through a service that wouldn't accept them.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

This is one area that there are no rules. I donated a large amount of fleece that I never used because it washes like towels and they can cut it to what they need. The ASPCA near my best friend's home was delighted. Go down to your local shelter and see what they need.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:35 AM

When I ask my local shelter they told me patty much any size the would go in the washer. but I'm with "alikat110" one phone call and your would know what size would work best for your local shetler. so kind of you to think of them.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:53 AM

Our shelter actually has the sizes and instructions on their website. Check to see if your local shelter does too. Having worked at a vet clinic I know that they use pretty much anything. Old comforters for the larger dog kennels, flannel blankets/quilts, bath size towels, fleece blankets. However, the vet clinic that I worked at could afford to buy their own bedding for the kennels or the employees donated their cast offs. These blankets and towels get washed a LOT and it certainly wouldn't be necessary to go to great lengths to make them pretty (ie: quilted). The washers and dryers are crammed full and harsh cleaning products are used. Dogs will chew them as well as all kinds of body fluids wind up on them. I would feel better about donating to a shelter who tend to have less monies to buy the things they need.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Our shelter will only take towels. No quilted/filled items. Contact them first.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 AM

I would do fleece blanket, quilts take up more room in the washer, and the batting just ends up clogging our drains when pulled out of the quilt after its chewed up by large dogs. Our kuranda beds are around about 2 feet by 3 feet give or take a few inches so I wouldn't go to great lengths to make anything too large. The fleece stuff lasts longer, most other stuff gets tossed after a single use. Our industrial washer doesn't fit that much for the 6 buildings we have so thats why we prefer the smaller blankets. Not sure about other animal shelters but that is how ours works
Old 02-23-2014, 09:40 AM

I fill pillowcase/pillow size with all my tiny scraps/batting leftovers etc and serge them closed. They are all shapes and sizes. The shelter I donate to gives out a bed to new owners when the pets go home. The only thing they request is that it is has not been used before by another pet. All my quilting/sewing buddies save me their scraps. I have a bunch of big bags of stuffing I need to use!