Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kinda sick....is it totally ruined????? >

Kinda sick....is it totally ruined?????

Kinda sick....is it totally ruined?????

Old 07-16-2014, 07:01 AM

That is absolutely one gorgeous quilt and I think that if you starch and iron it and send it off to the quilter, all will be well, even if some of the dye that ran is still showing, which is not discernible in the pic, nobody but you will know that as batiks have such color variations in them that it will not even be noticed as a boo-boo but as simply a lovely piece of batik.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I had a similar problem with a quilt for my Grandsons wedding. He is in the Air Force so I wanted to make a patriotic quilt for them. The red and blue bled onto the white on the back. I rewashed it with color catchers and the bleeding came out. I then washed it with salt and vinegar as I was told it would set the colors. The quilt turned out well. Good luck.T

[ATTACH=CONFIG]483341[/ATTACH]
The red and blue in the flag material bled all over the white on the back. This picture was taken after I got the bleeding out of the white.
Twinkie, did you use hot water when you rewashed it?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:32 AM

Like others who have commented, I see no sign of a problem. This quilt top is beautiful.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cecelia363 View Post
I thought Batiks and hand dyed fabrics were so "processed" that they were bleed free. I am now afraid to make the quilt using Batik charms with the white back ground. Someone please calm my fears!?
Batiks and hand dyed fabrics are actually more likely to bleed because often the manufacturer (or maker) doesn't have the patience (or water) to completely rinse out all of the excess dye.

Since you have charms, I would not wash them. After the quilt is finished, though, I would plan on washing the quilt with Synthrapol in *lots* of hot water. I take my quilts to the local laundromat, use the largest front-loader they have, and am careful to select hot water. You need lots of water to dilute any bleeds, and you need hot water so the Synthrapol is activated. Synthrapol works to keep loose dye particles suspended in water so they don't settle back into fabrics.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:30 AM

I had prewashed all my batiks for a warrior quilt but a red still bled when I steamed near it. Washed it in HOT water with synthrapol and all the dye magnets I had on hand (3), checked when it came out of the washer, repeated the Hot water synthrapol washing. Red totally gone from the white block and a hugh sign of relief from me because I needed to turn the quilt in the following week.

A quilting friend said she actually soaked a quilt in synthrapol overnight but that it did remove the errant color.

Worth a try and for me, nothing to loose, as I could not turn in the quilt with red bleeding onto a white block.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:42 AM

That quilt is GORGEOUS!!, I think it looks fine in the picture, and if there is any bleeding I bet the quilting will help distract from it. What color thread are you using for quilting? What pattern? I sure hope you show the finished picture. Love your quilt.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:11 PM

There are no stupid questions...only unasked questions. You don't learn if you don't ask. Beautiful quilt top!
I love bright colors.
Sharon
Old 07-16-2014, 12:50 PM

Fortyniner, I don't see any problem with the yellow in the quilt. It's beautiful, gorgeous and all kinds of other beauty words, and I mean every one of them!

The recipient won't know that it was 'christened' before it was finished.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 AM

Oh my gosh, your quilt is gorgeous!!! You certainly spent lots of hours on it!!