Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
King sized quilt on small machine? >

King sized quilt on small machine?

King sized quilt on small machine?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 AM

Default King sized quilt on small machine?

So I have finished one SITD baby quilt, and the top of a lap quilt... that is the extent of my quilting experience right now. I have two more quilts lined up before I would even get to this, but the wheels are already turning...

The other day my husband told me I should make a quilt for our king-sized bed. Do you think that is something I should even attempt on my little Bernette 25? I am fairly certain I couldn't do the quilting myself... I don't think I could fit all that batting and fabric in the throat of my machine. But do you think I would be able to at least do the top?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 AM

There is a Craftsy class for this. It's called Big Quilts on Small Machines. I signed up for it, didn't get around to taking it, now I have a machine big enough to quilt a king size.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:27 AM

You should be able to sew the top easily. It's just a matter of one block at a time, one row at a time, then sewing rows together. I had a Bernette 55 (I think that was the model) that I used for classes and retreats, and never had a problem finishing tops with it.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:33 AM

Don't quilt in one piece. There is a video but the way is to divide the king size when you have made the top into 4 sections. Sandwich and pin or spray baste . Now decide how to quilt. As you quilt leave about 1inch from each edge. Two quarters finished join by sewing top piece then lay flat and fit together butting and stitch together easier to hand stitch.then I match back sections folding one under as a seam and I hand stitch . Now finish quilting off to join the two sides. Sound a long job I find it goes very quickly. Then quilt and join the other 2 sections.the most difficult and heaviest part comes now join them all, get hubby to help. To keep weight off the machine with same process.
Binding next.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I highly recommend Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections. It gives several different ways to machine quilt a large quilt in sections and shows examples that help you determine which method is best for your quilt. I used several of Marti's methods before I got a longarm.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

yep doing a large quilt in sections would be much easier. two or three sections or even quilt as you go rows. Have fun deciding.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:15 AM

yes to all of the above suggestions -in sections you can google it or there may be youtube videos showing how also
Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

All the above refer to QAYG, quilt as you go. I have two 9" machines and can quilt double to queen sizes on them. No need for king size, no bed that size. QAYG would probably be my choice for it.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Yes it is possible. You can piece any size quilt on a regular machine. At least that's what I've been doing. I quilted a king size on my dinky mechanical Brother basic machine. It was stitch in the ditch and I started in the middle and worked out. There were times I was really squooshing it through, but that was just for a little bit. I did it "on point" so every pass was less under the machine. I made sure to prop it up around the machine. It came out fine. The son I made that quilt for now wants another one. I may do it in sections, or QAYG, depending on the pattern. Or, may use one of my vintage Singers with more space.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:12 PM

Great! Thanks, everyone! I will definitely start looking into QAYG methods. It is good to know making a quilt for our bed is possible even with my little machine. One day I hope I can justify a long arm machine though! But given this hobby is pretty new (started in June) I think I should wait a little while. I keep drooling over the fancy machines every time I go to the quilt shops, I wonder if I can justify one by next Christmas??