Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
King Tut fans >

King Tut fans

King Tut fans

Old 01-24-2015, 06:26 AM

Default King Tut fans

I'm talking about King Tut thread of course. Do you use it? What's the appeal for you? I'm trying it for the first time, quilting my Jelly Roll Race 2 quilt together and it seems awfully lint-y for such an expensive thread. I'm not sure if I like it or not. What do you like about it?
Old 01-24-2015, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I thought you were going to comment on the news story that they broke off the beard on King Tut's gold mask this week.
I have used King Tut varigated thread and I got a little lint ball behind my needle while FMQ. It snapped the needle and just about gave me a heart attack. I don't use it any more.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

It's good thread but it's thick being 40 wt 3 ply. A large needle is needed. It shows up great for machine quilting if you want your stitches to stand out.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:46 AM

I love using King Tut on the longarm, not so much on my domestic machine. I love the way my quilting looks with the thicker thread.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:56 AM

King tut is the first thread I ever tried for quilting because its the only one available in my village. I didn't have any problem using it in my machine or for hand quilting. I had a horrendous time trying to use yli quilting thread once so now king tut is my go to thread! I think that different machines like different threads.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 AM

I use it all the time - my favourite thread (and I've tried a few!). I like that the colour changes of the variegated are every inch or so compared to others that have muck longer stretches of the same colour. They also have a huge range of colours - some of their lighter variegated ones have a very subtle colour change.

Last edited by Knitette; 01-24-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:15 AM

My longarm gets really upset if I use any other thread on her. But it is costly so I do not use it much on my other machines.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
It's good thread but it's thick being 40 wt 3 ply. A large needle is needed. It shows up great for machine quilting if you want your stitches to stand out.
I was thinking the same thing. A larger needle might be needed. Rubbing may be causing the linting. I like KT thread and never a problem.
peace
Old 01-24-2015, 07:53 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
I'm talking about King Tut thread of course. Do you use it? What's the appeal for you? I'm trying it for the first time, quilting my Jelly Roll Race 2 quilt together and it seems awfully lint-y for such an expensive thread. I'm not sure if I like it or not. What do you like about it?
I use it on my Sweet 16. It's the only thread I can use that I don't have to fiddle with the tension (a lot). It costs so much I don't use it for regular sewing. Love it for my quilting needs though.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:19 PM

doesn't shred(Long staple)
high quality egyptian grown(actually true versus other brands that are not as truthful)
All cotton threads have lint, this one has one of the least but you have to follow their instructions on needles an tension

These are the brands i have used below of similar weight that broke and did not stand to my FMQ tests-YLI, Sulky, Aurifil, Gutterman in order from worst to least. All broke constantly except for gutterman broke the least but still broke frequently. All were pretty linty when FMQ

My suggestion is if you don't like lint switch to polyester because you will tend to get more lint FMQ than piecing because of the speed, and friction. Poly also doesn't break like cotton when FMQ and has a nice sheen to it, however when using cotton king tut, I got no breakage like the others leading me to believe it is a better made thread, better quality thread.