Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Knee Controller >

Knee Controller

Knee Controller

Old 03-30-2014, 06:23 PM

Default Knee Controller

When I worked at a garment factory sewing gloves, I had a knee controller on my sewing machine. I would like to have one on my sewing machine. Does anybody know if I have to buy one especially for my machine. Or if it is just a standard attachment that will work on any machine? I remember my MIL had one on her machine and her foot petal fit inside it somehow and the lever pushed on the foot petal. How would I go about finding one of these. Do they sell them in the dealerships or is it a special order. Any help or information would be appreciated. Thanks, Leesa
Old 03-30-2014, 06:54 PM

I have one on my 306 W its one of the reasons I love that machine. They went out of manufacture for domestic machines when they stopped selling cabinet mounted machines. Back in the day when you could by a complete machine with the cabinet they were pretty much a standard, the foot control was also there but it was wrapped and up in the cabinet and you could take it down and use it. My knee control folds up if I want to use the foot control.

I asked my local sewing machine repair and he said all he could do for a new machine is mount the foot petal on a bracket so you could move your knee against the foot control.

Look for a vintage machine cabinet mounted and see of it still has its knee control.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:42 PM

My 15-91 has it. It is the machine I learned to sew on and so it is harder for me to use a foot pedal than a knee control or the button on the machine.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

I don't know if this works on modern machines or not - http://www.vacsew.com/generic-knee-pedal-705w.html
Old 03-30-2014, 09:32 PM

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/kne...g-machine.aspx

This one looks like it will work with any machine.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:09 AM

I'm with you on the "I wish" but these won't work with most new machines. I already bought one and had to send it back. I have a Baby Lock Unity.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:37 AM

I will be interested in your responses. My dear GM ,who taught me how to sew, had a white in a cabinet that had a knee bar on the right side that would run the machine instead of a foot pedal. Bearing this in mind, when I bought by Janome 12000', I thought the knee lifter was the same thing as what my GM had.....boy was I ever wrong as I sat at the table with my new machine and released the knee lifter was only to raise the press or foot. Duh!
Old 03-31-2014, 03:40 AM

I'm sure your machine would have to be set up for it first. Not all machines are. Out of all of my machines only my Viking mega quilter is and it came with it. Check out your manual and see if your machine can work with one before you do it. The other option is if you find an old cabinet that has the foot pedal mounted on the side of the cabinet at knee level or you could modify your cabinet and possible mount your foot pedal to the side of your cabinet so that you could just push on it with you knee.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

That's how I learned to sew. I hadn't sewn on a machine with a knee bar in probably 40 years when I went to my sister's house for a craft weekend. She had a machine with a knee lift and even after 40 years of sewing with a foot pedal, I kept trying to run the machine with the knee lift. Didn't work
Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I asked my local sewing machine repair and he said all he could do for a new machine is mount the foot petal on a bracket so you could move your knee against the foot control.
This sounds like a great idea!