Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Knot Quilt question... >

Knot Quilt question...

Knot Quilt question...

Old 04-16-2013, 09:22 AM

Default Knot Quilt question...

My cousin Fred sent me a baby quilt to knot it for him.. what type of batting should I use? After I knot it I will do the binding on it like I normally do, sew one side and hand sew the other side... Any advise on this?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:25 AM

I like to use a puffy batting on tied/knotted quilts. I get it at WalMart - polly/cotton blend.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 AM

The batting is a matter of choice, but you want to make sure that your ties are as close as is recommended for quilting on the package.

Binding is done like any other quilt. Because the ties don't go to the very edge like quilting might, it is important to me to do the machine basting around the edge of the whole sandwich after tying and before sewing the binding on.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 AM

The type of batting would depend on how far apart you plan on knotting.....each batting will have different quilting/knotting requirements concerning spacing and each will tell you on the bag.....if you plan on knotting in 5" intervals, then the batting needs to correspond....battings with a scrim will have wider spacing needs, those without can be as close as 2"-4".
Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Actually, I believe you need to halve the distance for knotting, especially if the batting is polyester. If the package says quilting lines can be 6" apart, I would plan on knots no further than 3" apart from each other. My experience with poly batting is that it will pull apart with repeated washing if the knots are not close enough. Knots provide less structure for the batting than quilting lines.

I haven't done a knotted quilt with cotton, but I would think that a needlepunched cotton would be more stable. I am thinking specifically of Quilter's Dream 100% cotton, or Mountain Mist Rose (which is available in my JoAnn's). With those battings I would be more comfortable making the knots farther apart. However, you would not get the loft of, say, a Hobbs PolyDown.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I never tie quilts only comforters and never tie less or more than 3-4", no matter what the batting says. I almost always use high loft polyester batting. Quilts and comforters.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It would be a good idea to take yourself over to the sites that show videos on hand tying quilts.
https://www.google.com/search?q=vido...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Jan in VA
Old 04-17-2013, 05:03 AM

I will do that Jan! thank you!!
Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
It would be a good idea to take yourself over to the sites that show videos on hand tying quilts.
https://www.google.com/search?q=vido...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Jan in VA