Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
knotting up....Help! >

knotting up....Help!

knotting up....Help!

Old 01-23-2016, 08:55 AM

Default knotting up....Help!

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes. My sewing machine has a thread cutter which I thought I would love, but the threads knot up on the back at the beginning of every piece I sew. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to this? It makes my points bulky, and I don't like that. Any suggestions?
Old 01-23-2016, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

What is the brand and model of your machine?
Old 01-23-2016, 09:11 AM

I never use my thread cutter except by accident. LOL. I really wish there was a way
to disable that feature on my machine. I usually chain stitch and always use leaders/enders
which is a little scrap of fabric that you sew before and at the end of your sewing.
You save a lot of thread that way and the machine doesn't eat your fabric when
you're sewing.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:11 AM

I'm like you, thinking I'd love a thread cutter. Actually it's a pain in the neck (or should I say fingers?) I have RA and don't have much flexibility in my fingers so it's difficult to pull the threads up to start another line of stitching. Those short threads are probably bunching up causing those knots. I pull the thread out a bit and just cut the threads with snips, Then I have a length of thread to start my new seam.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Don't have an automatic thread cutter. Just the little razor thing on the side and back and often use scissors.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Wish I could help. I tried a friend's sewing machine with an auto cutter and I found it more of a hassle. I do a lot of chain stitching and find it easier to use scraps of fabric called leaders/enders.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:33 AM

I love my auto thread cutter. Well, not totally automatic. I have to push a button to use it. I never use it at the beginning of stitching only at the end. Don't know why you would use it at the beginning of a stitching line?? Also, don't have any problem with beginning next line of stitching after using auto thread cutter as my machine doesn't require thread pulled to back(top thread - I do pull toward back; bobbin doesn't require it). I have a Baby Lock Esquire machine.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I love my auto thread cutter too and use it. It is a have to have for me when I paper piece. It saves tons of time and thread. My machine is a Brother and the needle down has to be selected for the auto thread cutter to cut properly. It makes a mess of the thread if I don't have the needle down turned on.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:06 AM

I have a thread cutter too, same problem so I don't use it. The problem is that unless you hold the top thread when you begin stitching, it's get caught up underneath and makes a knot on the back of the fabric and also can cause the fabric to get caught in the hole of the throat plate. So I always grab my threads when I start a new line of stitching, or use a leader and ended piece to do it for you.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

My threads are cut so short they can't knot up or make a mess. They are about 1/4" long, top and bottom. I think the tension on the thread may be all wrong to use the thread cutter. I had to adjust the tension and how many thread guides I used on mine in order for it to work great. Most dealers don't know anymore about the thread cutter then the customer. They know to push the button.