Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Know of any Northern Michigan shops??? >

Know of any Northern Michigan shops???

Know of any Northern Michigan shops???

Old 09-04-2009, 05:36 AM

Hello all,

I need to pick a couple brain cells from you. My DH and I are taking an anniversary trip Oct. 1-4 to Northern Michigan (Mackinaw City in LP to Tahquemenon Falls in UP). Husband will need to spend some time on his laptop (online college courses don't care that it's our anniversary, I guess), so I want to be able to pop into a shop or two to "feed my habit" while we're up there. Does anybody know of a place (or 20??? :lol: ) that I might be able to stop and visit while he's studying???

Thanks so much!

Odessa
Old 09-04-2009, 06:54 AM

It's been 4 or 5 years, but right at Whitefish Point there was a large LQS. At the time, I had only been quilting for 6 months. They sold fabric and cross stitch and yarn at that time. Sorry, can't remember the name of it.

There are some other Michigan people here that should be able to help more than me!

P.S. Happy Anniversary!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:40 AM

Can't help much with shops but right off I75 is Gaylord and they have a huge Ben Franklin, it is right on main street. Have fun up here, That is a beautiful time of the year to hit the UP and the falls are great!
Take the riverboat tour it is fun! And ride the train at the falls.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:53 AM

Hi Odessa,

I googled and this is what it came up with. You can check our some of the links that google came up with.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...a7f458acaa2672
Old 09-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Yahoo! Yellow Pages is really good for this kind of thing. You put in your city of choice, go to Retail Shopping, then Arts & Crafts, then Quilting, and up pops a list of quilts shops. Usually the Sponsored Businesses tab is showing, so click on the Distance tab to see what's actually there.

http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypResults.py?...ttype=distance
Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 PM

Most of my knowledge is about the K'zoo to GR area, but if you can only go to one northern Michigan shop, make it The Ice House in Grayling. It's well worth it! http://www.theicehousequiltshop.com/ Awesome place!!

There is now an online version of the Quilters Travel Companion which has shops, shows, guilds, retreats, everything you could ever want to know about quilting stuff in any state ot province. http://www.quilterstravelcompanion.c...s/Michigan.htm Have a great trip...and Happy Anniversary! :D
Old 09-04-2009, 04:14 PM

Sault Ste. Marie -- Gloria's Happy Hooker (honest, it is a wonderful quilt shop with yarns)

Google a quilt shop in Paradise, MI on the shore of Lake Superior.

Also nice shops in Marquette and Negaunee -- Lake Superior side of UP
and
great shops in Escanaba and Menominee -- Lake Michigan side of UP
and
don't forget Jeri's Quilt Patch in Norway === :D
Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 PM

Odessa, just wanted to tell you I think your cake is awesome! I noticed it right away. Did you paint the pictures on it or use a spray gun?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:49 PM

Wow! Thanks one and all; this really is going to give me a head start on my choices!

Up North, we've already got our tickets ordered for the Toonerville trolley train/boat tour to the falls. :wink: AND, I've been to that Ben Franklin in Gaylord (which is on the way -- yay!), so I may have to take a "potty stop" ... hehehehehe!

Ghostrider, the Icehouse is one of my favorite out-of-town shops! Again, another one not too far off the Interstate!

Kay, I hadn't previously heard of Gloria's Happy Hooker; we may have to make the trip to the Soo to find it, if only because the name is so intriguing! I've been to a little quilt shop in Paradise; I wonder if it's the same one you mentioned ... seems like a tiny little hole in the wall, but loaded full of terrific finds! That was the first one I thought of, but I was hoping for more options and the folks here came through!

Thanks everyone for the Anniversary wishes.

Janstar, I don't own an airbrush, and since I don't do rolled fondant, the decorations on the cake had to be piped on by hand, which is one reason why the "fabrics" don't have a lot of pattern to them. But I was told that the woman whose birthday it was just loved it!

Here are some more pics:
Old 09-04-2009, 08:51 PM

I don't know why, but my pics didn't show!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-10214.jpe   attachment-10215.jpe   attachment-10245.jpe