Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Know anything about the  Brother CS6000i? >

A Know anything about the Brother CS6000i?

A Know anything about the Brother CS6000i?

Old 01-22-2016, 11:17 AM

I've had this machine for years and it's a little workhorse and a real bargain for the price. It's easy to use. Do a search here on this site for comments and read reviews on Amazon. For your price range I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I am looking to get a sewing machine for a 10 year old "granddaughter" who wants to learn to sew. Don't want to spend more than $150, prefer less and am thinking of the Brother CS6000i.
Thanks much.
I have one and like it very much. It's gotten excellent reviews here too. I found a site that has 20 (yes!) short videos on how to use it, from unboxing and setting up thru it all! Site has videos on other brands too.

http://www.sewingmastery.com/videos/cs6000i/
Old 01-22-2016, 04:39 PM

I have one and like it. There is a sliding speed switch on it for slow to fast sewing- very handy when teaching beginners who need to learn how to use a pedal. I have a young lady with Down syndrome who sews with me and she always sets the switch to between slow and medium before she starts. The CS6000i comes with several feet, the even feed foot, and the table attachment that usually all cost extra with other machines. Keep an eye out and you can sometimes find the Brother for less than $130. Check Overstock.com, Amazon, etc. I've heard that it may be difficult to get many brands of machines serviced under warranty unless purchased at a sewing machine store, but I bought my used machine off Craigslist several years ago and aside from replacing the bobbin holder (myself) it hasn't needed any repairs. I find mine prefers the plastic flat Brother bobbins, not the slightly domed Singer bobbins. I mostly do straight 1/4" seam sewing, the zig zag, and the serpentine stitch for quilting. I love that it is very lightweight, but don't like the machine case cover which just slides over the top with an open slot to reach into the back of the machine itself for carrying. The only other negative is thick seams are better sewn on my vintage or antique machines rather than risking stress on the plastic gears.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:19 PM

I have had my 6000 brother for about 4 years. Love it. it does have a speed button that is very nice. For piecing I keep it about middle way. I bought my 10 year old ggd the Janome "baby" at Walmart for $79.00 I thought it would be easy for her to learn on.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:34 PM

Thanks everyone!! Great advice and information. I like the idea of the speed adjustment for a beginner -- don't want her to get concerned because the machine gets away from her if she has only the foot control.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:34 AM

I have one as a back up for my Bernina if it has to go in the shop....it is an amazing machine for the price and except for the small throat it does almost everything the bigger machines do...less some of the gadgets but it will sew without a foot pedal and has different speeds and many embroidery stitches (more than my Bernina...lol) however I am not sure how well it would handle really thick things like double batting totes at the top where you are putting straps also...my Bernina handles this heavy duty sewing extremely well.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I am looking to get a sewing machine for a 10 year old "granddaughter" who wants to learn to sew. Don't want to spend more than $150, prefer less and am thinking of the Brother CS6000i.

I have been reading about machines for the past week or so and am not sure if a mechanical will work for her because the speed is not easy to control. I want it to be easy for her to sew slow so I was thinking to get a machine with a speed control, but read a couple of reports on Amazon that the low end computer machines don't last very well.

I was wondering if any of you wonderful folks have any long term experience with the Brother CS6000i and can speak to ease of use and durability.

Thanks much.
I have owned a Brother CS6000i for 5 years and love it. It went to Florida with me twice and I take it to a retreat once or twice a year. It is my main machine for quilting. I used the speed control at first but now prefer the foot pedal. It is very easy to control the speed with the pedal. My only complaint is that the throat is not big enough to quilt anything bigger than a lap robe. Great machine for a beginner. I bought mine from WalMart.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:49 AM

I had one for about 5 years, loved it, then a grown granddaughter fell in love with it so I gave it to her, still going strong.

A 9 year old granddaughter had problems with it only because she is a pedal to metal sewer & it kept coming unthreaded but it was all her fault, not the machine. That granddaughter (now 11) does much better with the Necchi Travel Mate which is made by Janome & the exact same machine at the Janome Gem Gold-they run about $199.00 & a super simple mechanical machine, I got that one for my son-in-law & grandsons to use for mending & school & 4H projects (my youngest daughter does not sew at all but good with safety pins & a stapler-LOL)

It is a great machine, I'm tempted to get another one while they are still available, I saw on one site that they are retired.

If you get one get a piece of the rubberized shelf lining to place it on while sewing, it is light weight & that stops it from moving around which could be a problem with a new sewer.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:10 AM

I don't know about that machine, but I learned on an old mechanical machine and it was good for me. I learned to control the speed by myself without depending on the machine to do it. I was about 12 or 13 when I started. I still have that machine
Old 01-23-2016, 08:11 AM

My 10 year old granddaughter has had this machine for a year. She sews everything on it from fleece crafts to quilts and she loves it! I also purchased the same machine for myself to take to my quilting group. It is so light weight and has all the feet I need. The owners manual is very user friendly. Great machine for the price. It is constantly rated #1 by consumers.