Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Know anything about the  Brother CS6000i? >

A Know anything about the Brother CS6000i?

A Know anything about the Brother CS6000i?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:26 PM

Default A Know anything about the Brother CS6000i?

I am looking to get a sewing machine for a 10 year old "granddaughter" who wants to learn to sew. Don't want to spend more than $150, prefer less and am thinking of the Brother CS6000i.

I have been reading about machines for the past week or so and am not sure if a mechanical will work for her because the speed is not easy to control. I want it to be easy for her to sew slow so I was thinking to get a machine with a speed control, but read a couple of reports on Amazon that the low end computer machines don't last very well.

I was wondering if any of you wonderful folks have any long term experience with the Brother CS6000i and can speak to ease of use and durability.

Thanks much.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:43 PM

I encouraged my sister to get this same machine, she didn't have a lot of experience sewing but she absolutely loves the machine and has become quite proficient with it. I believe she has had it now about 7 years she really liked the features on it and enjoys playing around with the stitches, plus it has needle down and even comes with a walking foot. I think your grand daughter will really like this machine!
Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I am looking to get a sewing machine for a 10 year old "granddaughter" who wants to learn to sew.

am not sure if a mechanical will work for her because the speed is not easy to control.
Thanks much.
Some of the 4-H leaders tape the very large pink erasers under the top part of the foot controller to keep it from going all the way down. Eventually, the eraser could be removed as the sewer is more comfortable with the machine.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:16 PM

Thanks Elnan -- would not have thought of that.

Thanks Ariannaquilts -- I was hoping it would last a while. Her family does not have a lot of money so I want something reliable.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:21 PM

LOVE my Brother machine it has been dependable . They seen to have a good reputation! My Grand daughter has a mini Janome gem but she is now 14 so needs something bigger. I think it is a good idea to go with a full size machine and if it is not a vintage one Brothers seem to do well make sure she knows how to clean it of dust bunnies!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:59 PM

I have 4 Brother machines. Two are mechanical, nice macnines and when I travel, one of them accompanies me. STitching is good, too, Two are computerized. I like them just fine, and use them all the time. The manuals for the Brother machines are excellent. I don't think you can go wrong with a Brother sewing machine!
Old 01-22-2016, 06:20 AM

Remember she's 10...... This may be a passing fancy so keep your cost low and her maintenance simple......when she matures and if interest in sewing is still there, then think bigger/better.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:30 AM

I have two of these machines. I got the second one for a terrific sale price on Amazon because I liked the first one so much. I was afraid it would not last very long so I purchased a second one. However, I have been using it for my quilting now for about 5 years and so far it has held up very well. There is a slow speed control on this machine. My son purchased one for his daughter because of the slow speed control and because I had one and could help her if need be. I don't believe you would be disappointed with this machine for a beginning sewer.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:47 AM

I thought the price was so good on Amazon, I wondered how much to ship to UK (where this machine seems not available) - nope, not possible. Guess it saves me the angst of working out if I can justify it!

Still can't work out why machines are so very much more expensive/unavailable here, from companies that do sell in this country..?
Old 01-22-2016, 09:54 AM

Bought one for one of my DDs when they first came out. Really nice machine. I wanted to keep it for myself. DH bought me the ce5500prw from WM as a backup. nice little machine but it didn't come with the extras the 6000i did.