Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona fabric >

Kona fabric

Kona fabric

Old 09-03-2013, 02:36 AM

Default Kona fabric

The kona fabric that they sell in joann fabric stores varies from store to store is it the same weight as buying kona fabric online. Thanks for any info.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:44 AM

Joann's sells some they call Kona, but if the bolt isn't specifically marked Kaufman, it probably isn't by Kaufman. The Kona I've always found online is by Kaufman, and it is nicer than what Joann's sells. IMHO.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

it would depend on where -on line- it is not the same as you will find in good quality quilt shops. but if you find a shop that offers 'lesser priced' cotton fabrics you may find it there. it varies on line just like in stores- but if you know the fabrics an on line store carries you will be able to choose ones that are nice. I love kona solids- but I don't buy them from Joann's (or pretty much any other fabric) I occasionally shop there for tools, notions, books- when I need something right away & have a coupon. when visiting on-line shops read the customer comments and ask around to find out how their fabrics are- or contact them and ask for swatches- some places (like fabric.com) offer swatches so you can check out the fabrics before committing to any real amount.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:07 AM

Robert Kaufman has actually posted on this board and said they only make one quality of fabric.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Robert Kaufman has actually posted on this board and said they only make one quality of fabric.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...tml#post746926

i also belong to another forum and this topic was brought up there a couple of weeks ago. Robert Kaufman joined the forum and posted, sharing the same information.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:51 AM

Kona is a registered trademark to Kaufman. Only Kaufman can use the name... and as stated earlier they only make one quality of Kona.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:04 AM

Its good stuff. And most prints are beautiful!
Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 AM

Hobby Lobby carries Kaufman Kona solids, for a very reasonable price.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

I have personally witnessed JoAnne employees take a black non Kona broadcloth bolt end of approximately 5 yards of fabric and put it on the black Kaufman Kona bolt. That was the last time I bought quilting fabric from JoAnnes. They were not doing it to be deceitful or rip off the customers they just don't know the difference. The problem is most of JoAnne employees are not sewers, let alone quilters. To them one black solid is no different from another. This would explain why the OP and many others who have posted the same here felt the fabric is different weight/quality from Kaufman Kona.

Anytime I have order Kaufman Kona solids on line from Fabric Depot or Hancocks of Paducah, I have always gotten the Kaufman Kona that I expect. Same goes for Moda Bella solids from Thousands of Bolts.

I have not tried Hobby Lobby because it is less expensive for me to order from Hancocks of Paducah on line even with shipping. And it is much more convenient for me to shop the net.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I have personally witnessed JoAnne employees take a black non Kona broadcloth bolt end of approximately 5 yards of fabric and put it on the black Kaufman Kona bolt. That was the last time I bought quilting fabric from JoAnnes. They were not doing it to be deceitful or rip off the customers they just don't know the difference. The problem is most of JoAnne employees are not sewers, let alone quilters. To them one black solid is no different from another. This would explain why the OP and many others who have posted the same here felt the fabric is different weight/quality from Kaufman Kona.
I certainly hope you let the Kaufman people know about this! I'm sure they would be very grateful for the information, if only the store number and events as they happened.