Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Kool Kats Quilt by Northcott

Hi,
    I just fell in love with this quilt pattern, have several people I know that are Cat lovers. I have tried for two nights to cut the fabric for this quilt to do a test run. I have had NO LUCK. The instructions are very confusing to me. Has anyone made this quilt? Is there a trick to understanding the instructions?
    Thanks
    NormaBeth
    PS: web site for a free download
    http://www.stitch-n-frame.net/cgi-bi...es=0&lastmenu=

Blog Entries
    Perhaps you could tell us which part you find confusing.

Have that diagram (the FQ with the squares drawn on it) next to your fat quarter. Cut out starting with number 1 (those are the biggest). I would do biggest to smallest myself, but you can follow the numbered blocks.
    What might be easier for you is to redraw that diagram onto a piece of paper the same size as your fat quarter, then you can lay it on top of your fabric and get a better idea of how to cut it. You need to do the same cuts to 13 FQs.

Blog Entries
    i love that pattern.

That is basically a snails trail, and it can get confusing. Let us know where you are having problems. Chris has a good place to start (unless, like me you start with a different size fabric -- sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by Cris
    Have that diagram (the FQ with the squares drawn on it) next to your fat quarter. Cut out starting with number 1 (those are the biggest). I would do biggest to smallest myself, but you can follow the numbered blocks.
    What might be easier for you is to redraw that diagram onto a piece of paper the same size as your fat quarter, then you can lay it on top of your fabric and get a better idea of how to cut it. You need to do the same cuts to 13 FQs.
    That is pretty much what I was going to say. I stacked my freshly ironed and STARCHED fat quarters in sets of 3 and one of 4. On the top FQ, I actually drew the layout that was included with the instructions. This is not a real rotary cutter 'quick slash' as my husband calls it.

Here is the link to my finished KoolKats -

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-157959-1.htm

This is a very easily screwed up pattern. Let me know if I can help.

Could the issue be that today's fat quarters aren't always 18" x 22"? They should always be 18" in one direction, but the diagram requires they are 16.5" (3 #1s which are 5 1/2" wide) plus 4 7/8" (for the number 4 piece). That adds up to 21 3/8".

Is that the problem you're having?