Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kudos To You Machine Quilters >

Kudos To You Machine Quilters

Kudos To You Machine Quilters

Old 02-08-2015, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by sinceresissy View Post
This is to praise anyone who can get a sewing machine or quilting machine to do what they want and make something beautiful. I tried to make a heart hot pad that I downloaded from the internet yesterday and it was a mess. It was simple enough until I had to put the binding on. What a mess! I tried for a couple of hours then just decided enough is enough. No heart hot pads are being created today and with that I threw it away and put my material away for another project. So here's to all you machiners!
Tell us what happened...maybe the machine needed a bit of tweaking......
Old 02-08-2015, 05:37 AM

I should have prepped my statement better. I am a hand piecer and hand quilter. I sew binding on the machine for my quilts and that is about the only machine stitching I do. I usually don't have this much trouble but you are right. I was lazy and did not cut bias binding and I did not know how wide to cut the binding. In fact I think the instructions might have been for store bought binding. I was too lazy to go to the store so I was trying to make something without taking the proper time to do it right. I can sew on the machine and I think I have made one quilt on the machine but it is just so much more fun to sit, relax and sew by hand - for me. I just wanted to compliment you machine stitchers and quilters. It does require a lot of skill. When I sew on the machine I might get distracted and before I know it my straight line is a wavy line. Any way, I have tons of projects to do and one little heart hot pad isn't going to get me down.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:56 AM

Just take a deep breath and try it again. Play on fabric that has something to outline, like a butterfly or chicken or whatever. Usually if you have something to follow, the brain says "ok! Let's go".
Old 02-09-2015, 04:58 AM

..and you don't need a sewing machine that does everything but pour you a cup of coffee.....one straight stitch, one speed if all you need. I compliment you on liking hand piecing/quilting more than machine........I, on the other hand, thank heaven on a daily basis for the invention of the sewing machine. I hope you will try again....no, you were not too lazy to go out and buy binding....just too involved in being a crafter!
Old 02-09-2015, 07:18 AM

I agree with everyone, don't give up. My first project was to make a stupid pot holder. I mean, how difficult would it be to sew a square. I worked on that pot holder for days and finally threw it away but I didn't give up. I began buying pre-cuts and love using them.

YOU can do it !
Old 02-09-2015, 07:56 AM

[QUOTE=Jan in VA;7081536]To bind curves, yes, it helps to cut the binding strips on the bias.
It also helps to check out some advice on how to bind inner corners/angles.
http://www.quilt-video.com/2010/02/0...ng-odd-angles/

Jan, thank you so very much for showing this video. I had seen it yrs ago & tried to remember how she did those angles. I'm a lot more experienced now but still have trouble with those corners. Now I think I can do better on them.

Pat

Jan in VA[/QUOTE
Old 02-09-2015, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by sinceresissy View Post
I should have prepped my statement better. I am a hand piecer and hand quilter. I sew binding on the machine for my quilts and that is about the only machine stitching I do. I usually don't have this much trouble but you are right. I was lazy and did not cut bias binding and I did not know how wide to cut the binding. In fact I think the instructions might have been for store bought binding. I was too lazy to go to the store so I was trying to make something without taking the proper time to do it right. I can sew on the machine and I think I have made one quilt on the machine but it is just so much more fun to sit, relax and sew by hand - for me. I just wanted to compliment you machine stitchers and quilters. It does require a lot of skill. When I sew on the machine I might get distracted and before I know it my straight line is a wavy line. Any way, I have tons of projects to do and one little heart hot pad isn't going to get me down.
Hey, thanks! I personally would be so intimidated even thinking about hand sewing/hand quilting a whole quilt!