Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
La pass...willyne hammerstein >

La pass...willyne hammerstein

La pass...willyne hammerstein

Old 03-11-2017, 08:34 AM

Default La pass...willyne hammerstein

I just purchased the book and templates.....was quite surprised by the way the book is written....looks like trying to read thru instructions might be a challenge. Did not expect cm rather than inches, but can work that out. My questions to those who have worked/working it........are you epp? Getting papers from? Or making your own? Any comments, tips, warnings? I know someone here on board has enlarged the temps and is machine piecing....looking at the size of temps-I can see why! Do I want to try this? I don't mind epp, but so far have only done hexies and POTC?...this looks scary!!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:35 AM

One of the ways you can do this is by using InkLingo which allows you to print the pieces onto your fabric with an inkjet printer, cut and hand sew (or machine) the pieces together without doing EPP. That is how I am working on it. Goggle inklingo and you will find the site to purchase the files to do this printing.
Otherwise you can get papers and templates for cutting at a number of dealers and use EPP.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:33 PM

I am cutting my own papers, and epp. I do a lot of fussy cutting nearly all of mine is fussy cut. I do not hand baste my pieces I glue them w/ elmers stick school glue much easier much faster. It is no harder then hexies or potc. I think it is easier if you do all your star points in the same color that way you can make your rosettes w/o them sticking out makes joining much easier. I think I have pics that would explain it better but I'm not home now. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:22 PM

I once tried inklingo for something......not thrilled with freezer paper/ fabric, and really not a fan of handpiecing....so I will either epp or enlarge and machine sew.....I too baste epp with glue stick..but the one from sue Daley......
Old 03-11-2017, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I agree the book is confusing. I tried Inklingo but that was a pain to download and have to sign in each time I wanted to open the program. I bought the pre cut papers from Paperpieces and also the acrylic templates for fussy cutting the fabric. It's very addicting!
Old 03-12-2017, 06:33 AM

I hope these pics will make sense to you. If you join your outer star pieces like this the joining of the rosettes will be easier, more straight line less fussy tight points. With this joining method it is easier on the brain if all your stars are the same fabric, but w/ a little planning a the sacrifice of some brain cells you can do it w/ different star points.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569765[/ATTACH]
See how the star points are joined in units to the diamonds and small pentes

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569766[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]569767[/ATTACH]
The drawn in lines show how much straighter the joining line for the rosettes are and how your not putzing w/ the really tight star point turn.
Attached Thumbnails alap.jpg   alap2.jpg   alap3.jpg  
Old 03-12-2017, 07:27 AM

Geri, it is really much simpler than it appears at first. I just ignore the written instruction and look at the diagrams. They tell you everything you need to know. If you have done hexies you can do this. I had never done EPP before.[ATTACH=CONFIG]569768[/ATTACH]

Massdrop regularly runs specials on the package from paperpieces.com that includes both the acrylic templates & the papers. I glue baste with a sewline or Fons & Porter glue pen. Some of mine are "fussy cut" but not all.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 03-12-2017, 07:32 AM

I agree 1000% the diagrams are much easier.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:07 PM

So tricks on fussy cutting...do you make a "window" template, then outline with a frisson pen? That's what I'm thinking...may be way wrong.....
Old 03-12-2017, 02:04 PM

I make paper window templates for finding my cut area. Place the window and move it around w/ a taped mirror so I can get an idea of what will look good. But my windows aren't as perfect as my papers, so when I find my spot I usually put little marks on the papers and a tiny bit of glue to secure and free cut around them (usually from the back) if I can't see enough detail from the back I take the shade off a lamp and put it under my ironing board as a make shift light box.