Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: LA Quilters - how did you start your business?

LA Quilters - how did you start your business?

Hi-

I recently purchased a LA and really enjoy using it. A lot of people have asked me to quilt for them, which I have done a few, and it just got me thinking. I am curious, how did the ones in business start? I assume it was small, and then you gradually got clients??

Also, what made you actually decide to quilt as a business? Curious. JC

This will be an interesting thread. I'm curious to hear people's answers.

i started the way you have started- i bought a machine and learned to use it- started taking finished quilts to guild meeting show & tells, the lqs ect --- people would ask who quilted it- i would tell them i did- they would ask if i could quilt one of theirs---it has pretty much always been (word of mouth) this person tells her friend= they call me---i show quilts here- people send me a message- there are busy times & there are slow times- i had to research my area to see what others were charging- figure out my costs- my time restraints- and come up with a plan that works for me-over the years it has built up. i still work a full time job- but have hopes when my current job ends i will be to a point where i don't have to go get a new one-but can pay my bills quilting- we shall see how that goes...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I think you pretty much have to start small just cause of experience unless you are really good with freehand quilting or there are few long arm quilter in your area then your business will grow quickly.
    Word of mouth advertising seems to be enough for most long arm quilters I know, and I know a bunch.
    I wouldn't take on too many customers till I know I was good enough. If you turn out a bad quilt, your business will suffer.

If you want to get people on the forum to find out about you, you should list your location (at least a state) so people will know how close you are (shipping costs)...

Blog Entries
    Or offer a special deal to start out with and we (lol) can test you.........just saying.....
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Diet Dr. Pepper in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"