Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Label on charity auction quilt? >

Label on charity auction quilt?

Label on charity auction quilt?

Old 03-25-2015, 09:43 AM

Default Label on charity auction quilt?

If you were going to donate a quilt you made for a charity auction, would you still put a label of some kind on the back like who it was made by? Date? Other? Or no label at all?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:48 AM
RST

Yes, label -- that adds to the value for the type of person who is likely to buy a quilt at an auction. I've been seeing people use fairly minimal labels but with a link to a blog or website where they chronicle the process of making the quilt and all the details, inspiration, pattern, fabrics, meaning to the maker, etc -- I like that idea. It gives the quilt a lot of history and added interest making it very unique, but it doesn't get in the way of the function or appearance of the quilt with too much "stuff" on the label.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

I definitely would. A hundred years from now, someone could be interested in who made it.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:02 AM

Actually, I vote no, unless you mean temporarily attached. If I won a quilt, I wouldn't want that information permanently affixed. It would make it feel like it wasn't my quilt.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 AM

Whenever I have donated a quilt to be sold, I only attach a tag with the information of who made it and what town, and I only use my first name. )
Old 03-25-2015, 10:59 AM

I think attaching a label, but worded slightly differently than your normal labels is a good idea. Something like "Pieced and Quilted or (made with love, etc etc) by (first name, possibly last initial) in support of (charity name) Include your city, state and the date (month and year of the auction would work if that info is known when making the label). I would attach it to the back in a way that the stitches could be clipped and label removed if desired by the person that purchases the quilt.

Labels do add value to quilts, so those purchasers that know this would leave the label on.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:04 AM
RST

Do you feel like the designer name in your jeans makes them less your own?
The only scenario where it makes sense not to include maker label information is if you are selling a quilt that the buyer wants to be able to pass off as their own work -- and don't laugh, but there are etsy sellers who will offer to do that for crafty-wanna-bes.

I think that the reason that auction buyers are purchasing a handcrafted item is because they value a unique, personally crafted item -- not because they necessarily want a warm blanket.

The quilts that I donate to charity auctions go for quite a lot of money -- more than I could sell them for. People are buying it for the "story" behind it, so I carefully write the product description for the auction to appeal to the venue.

For example -- I donated a wallhanging to the early intervention center where my son had therapies. Most of the clients there, as well as a majority of the people attending the auction, have family members with autism or spectrum disorders. The quilt I donated was called "It's a spectrum thing". I quilted tiny motifs into the quilt that reflected the days of therapy my son spent there, including "goldfish crackers" and therapy balls, and some of the shapes featured on the wall murals. My label linked to my blog where I described in more detail the whole creation process, as well as the usual information "Made by RST, Seattle, WA. 2010" Because the wall hanging had more meaning than "oooh, pretty", it sold for around $300.

Giving your quilt a memorable and attractive name, as well as writing a product description, a lot like that blurb next to a product in a catalogue, will make it more attractive to bidders and bring more money to your charity.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

I would, you never who's hands it will be in. might end up in a museum someday.
they'd sure want to know who made it. plus what everyone else said.
You don't know, you may make history one day with your quilt.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:33 PM

It sounds like a good idea but I have never labeled a charity quilt.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:54 PM

I have only donated a few, but of those 3 the first one I didn't put anything on it. The second one I sewed my "signature" on with my machine. Nothing fancy just my initials and the year. Just like I would put my name on a picture. I have since purchased some small satin labels.. 1" x 2". I sewed that on the quilt... if the person who wins the quilt could remove it if they wanted too