Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labels on quilts..... >

Labels on quilts.....

Labels on quilts.....

Old 01-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

the good part about putting it on first is that the quilt's identity would be difficult to remove
Old 01-22-2012, 07:16 PM

I put my labels on after I quilt. I secure the side and bottom edges when I put the binding on and then I slip stitch the top and the other side by hand. Prior to attaching the label, I always turn the extra fabric under and on the edges that aren't secured by the binding I do a straight stitch. I like the looks of it.

I've attached a pix so you can see what I mean. . . .
Attached Thumbnails 102_2679.jpg  
Old 01-22-2012, 07:22 PM

Somewhere, I heard to put the label on before you quilt and then it cannot be removed very easy incase years have gone by or it is taken by the wrong person. I thought this was a great idea.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 AM

I sometimes put the label on AFTER quilting but BEFORE binding. That way the label can be stitched in with the binding on two sides and can't be removed easily. Cut a piece of fusible web the same size as the label, stitch around the edges, RST, slit the back and turn. You can then press your label onto the quilt before handstitching it on and it won't move.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 AM

I usually use a contrasting block (6 to 8") and hand write "TO... with love from..." Then I add the date made and the reason the quilt was made. (Happy Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas. Or, Just because I love you!) I feel silly putting my full name on the block because most of my quilted items go to family, but the few I have given quilts to say that they appreciate the label block. They will always remember me! When finished writing (with a laundry pen), I incorporate the block into the back of the quilt. right in the middle! I will sometimes embroider, by hand, some flowers or something on the corners. Then the quilting goes right over the label. However I have only done SITD quilting. I will get a frame and get brave some day and do something else.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:59 AM

I do after!!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 AM

I haven't done a lot of quilts and when I first did the gd quilts, didn't realize that they needed a label. I embroidered on the front of the quilt who it was to and from. The last quilts I did were for gs and did make a label and added it on after it was quilted. (IMHO) The idea of quilting the label on I think is fantastic. It won't come unsewn as likely as the slip stitched ones do.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Momyar View Post
When you put a label on your finished quilts do you put it on before you quilt it or after. If you put it on before you quilt it how do you keep from quilting through the middle of it.

If you put it on afterwards, what method do you use to sew in on?

Last quilt I finished (the Pittsburgh Steeler) I put the label on and then quilted it. Of course, ended up with quilting on the label. I'm about to finish another quilt and haven't decided how I'm going to attach this label.

Thanks!
I machine embroidery my information directly on the back of my quilt, before it is quilted. This way the information is always there. Quilting through the information does not distort it. It probably gets down to whether or not you want that label to last as long as the quilt does.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

I put it on after quilting and binding are complete using fusible bonding tape on the turned under edges, then do a blind handstitch around it.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM

Thanks everyone!!! I love the idea of attaching so that the binding catches it. I'm going to use that from now on.

You guys are the best!!!