Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Labels on quilts.....

Labels on quilts.....

When you put a label on your finished quilts do you put it on before you quilt it or after. If you put it on before you quilt it how do you keep from quilting through the middle of it.

If you put it on afterwards, what method do you use to sew in on?

Last quilt I finished (the Pittsburgh Steeler) I put the label on and then quilted it. Of course, ended up with quilting on the label. I'm about to finish another quilt and haven't decided how I'm going to attach this label.

Thanks!
    Gold and Silver are made purer and stronger by Fire.

I put my label on last. After it has been quilted and bound. I add the label and then wash it. I just sew it on with silk thread like I do when I hand-applique. HTH
    Jane
    Physically in Maryland but heart is in Indianapolis.

Rescued Boxers are adoptable love. Please consider a homeless/rescued pet when adding to your family.

I put it on after the binding is finished. I use a blind stitch like I do with the binding.
    Carol in Michigan

Blog Entries
    I've put labels on the back and then quilted them. No one will be taking those labels off. It work's either way.
    GrannyQ

I usually put mine on after the quilting.

Blog Entries
    I blanket stitch by hand the label on with contrasting pearl embroidery thread. It's the only hand stitching on my quilts, so my family better appreciate it - of course, they do. Non family quilts get a blind stitched label.

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    i put mine on last, but more important.... what do you put on the label.... please put as much info as possible... I tell students to write the label to their great-great-grandchildren. No one will know who 'Nana' is... full names, with maiden name, dates, for whom (more full name)... quilt name (if applicable).... occasion (if applicable)... just think of your favorite quilt... what would you like to know about this quilt... did your grandmother make it or did she make it with you mom and aunts when they were young... did the lady next door quilt it for her? was it for a wedding anniversary? someone's wedding or birthday? give the info you would like to know....

Quote Originally Posted by grannyQ View Post
    I've put labels on the back and then quilted them. No one will be taking those labels off. It work's either way.

This is how I do mine as well. I don't care that it has been quilted through because it means that the label is secured. I truly believe it is a personal choice though!
    God, Wonderful Family, Great Health, Awesome Friends, Quilting & Chocolates - - What more could a girl be blessed with!!

Blog Entries
    I made a quilt for my niece in Florida.I embroidered the date I made it how many hours Where i lived and thier wedding date and where they were married. I did this in the sleeve. They loved it.

I use a double sided fuse. Cut fusable piece smaller that label, tuck under edges and fuse to quilt corner after quilting and before binding. Put on binding, then I hand quilt the binding on, going around the edges of label as I stitch binding. I also take a permanent fine line pen and put the owner's name somewhere on the quilt in very tiny lettering. That way, if someone takes the label off, they still have a way of claiming it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast