Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labels >

Labels

Labels

Old 06-12-2014, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

I label all of my quilts. Some of the first ones got away, without them, but now I make sure to put them on. I feel as though someone will see one years after I am gone, and want to know who made it. I write out the information, and heat set it, and sew it on by hand.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:59 AM

Here are pics of labels I put on my recently-completed quilt for a family wedding. There was a lot of interest in the labels in the forum. On page 4 I gave details of how I do these. And I agree with a previous post here, I believe the dry, hot iron on the well saturated, dried inks is key as mine don't seem to be fading over time (years).

I also very much like that these labels are quite affordable compared to numerous other special fabrics, inks, etc.

The wedding quilt forum is under Pictures: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t248199.html

And here are pics of the labels (color shift is due to flash on / off ... the lighter is the true color).

Hope this helps. ~ Jo
Attached Thumbnails ricky-haley-001_edited-1.jpg   ricky-haley-002.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:38 AM

I make a handwritten Pigma pen small label. If it's a wallhanging or quilt for me, I sometimes just write my initials, date, and city/state directly in an inconspicuous spot with the Pigma pen.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:43 AM

Jo, your labels are very sweet! They look great, too.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:00 AM

I simply sign mine with my name and year using a Pigma pen in the lower left corner. That also helps me place it on the bed faster when I'm making up the bed.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:21 AM

I have the embroidery unit for my Bernina 440. I didn't think I wanted embroidery but got a great deal on my machine when it was 1 year old. Now I embroider a label for every quilt I make. I usually embroider it on a scrap of the quilt fabric or something that is color complimentary. I like to put a small picture at the top (usually a flower, butterfly or something that matches the theme), then the quilt name if I named it, person made for, occasion, my name and date, ect.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:37 PM

I label all of my quilts. I started out with labels on a purchased label panel and a pigma pen. Then I started making labels on my computer and printing them on Printer Treasures fabric. I love these labels as I add a picture that goes with the name of the quilt. Will my labels fade? Probably. I have been quilting only 4 years. So far, none of my labels have faded and my daughter washes the quilts I have made for her foster children many times.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:36 PM

I use my embroidery machine for labels...even use some of the fancy stitches that I never use to make a border.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:23 PM

Long before I was a quilter, I bought several antique quilts. I knew nothing at all about quilts so I used them thoroughly and loved them to pieces. Literally. My niece still has one of the quilts that is near falling to shreds. From the beginning (and over the years), I've wondered so often about the hands that made them.

So for my quilts, I use a piece of matched backing and machine embroider it (with my pfaff 4.2), then I hand sew the label on two sides, and machine sew the other two sides when I attach the binding, and then I hand bind over top (if that makes sense). I always include a dedication to the recipient, my name, year, and my town - not that I ever expect my quilts to live on, but if they do, others will know a little bit about it.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:05 PM

I too use my embroidery machine to do my labels. My sons fair quilt that he is working on right now forced me to learn to use the digitizing software that I had gotten, and I am getting more creative with the designs now ! I digitized my own signature, so now instead of the standard lettering for my name it stitches out my actual signature. I like the personal feel it gives them !