Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LABELS >

LABELS

LABELS

Old 03-04-2008, 05:22 PM

Does anyone have any really nice labels and where did you get them? Besides name, date and fabric content, what should I have on my label? I just can't come up with something really nice. I get so thrilled that I finished a quilt that I forget to make labels. I downloaded some designs for my embroidery machine but I'm not sure I really like them all that much. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:16 PM

I will often use a left over block and embroider information it that. Like who it's for, pattern, date, who it's from an who made it. The wedding quilts I've done, I put a heart shape on it with that stuff embroidered. I ususally use a piece of fabric I used in the quilt.

M
Old 03-04-2008, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the ideas, M I like the heart idea a lot
Old 03-04-2008, 06:21 PM

I usually put this info on my label:

"A world of ladybugs" .....made by Jane Doe in Feb 2008 for Jack Pratt to celebrate his 100th birthday.

Pattern: quilterscache.com, pieced corners of science
Quilted by: Me; Address.....state or ???

Or whatever.....if it's a donation quilt I don't put my full name on it.

Sometimes I do a phototransfer on the label, sometimes I just write it with pigma permanent marker after ironing the fabric to freezer paper to stabilize it, sometimes I use bubblejet set & do a picture I've found on the net someplace as the background, and then put the writing over it all.
Think about quilts we see today from the past, and what do we want to know about them, and then try & put that info on YOUR label.....just my input.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:23 PM

Thanks so much Thimble Great ideas
Old 03-04-2008, 08:06 PM

sometimes I like to put the name of the quilt on the label
Old 03-06-2008, 12:24 PM

Jackie,
On my baby quilts that I give to the mothers. I put the baby's name, date of birth, weight, length, time of birth. then my name as the quilter on my labels.....if I am showing a quilt at a quilt show, I put the date that I quilted the quilt, Name of quilt. the length and width of quilt and my name as the quilter. I make my labels out of while muslin and iron on freezer paper and print if off with my pc. through my printer, it goes a great job.
if you are planning on printed a picture on it, whether its black or white or a color picture, I suggest on using bubble jet on the fabric so the color or black ink will not run....just a helpful hint.
good luck with your labels. There is alot of labels you can find and some are beautifully designs and you can also find stensils for labels.
scarlett
Old 03-06-2008, 12:43 PM

Thank you so much, Scarlett for some great information. I did make mine out of white muslin and I used my embroidery machine for the text. I put who, when, where, name of the quilt design on the front and what the fabric and batting was made of and washing instructions on the back side. Thanks for the idea of including the size. I'm going to set it into the binding. It's a little bigger than I wanted. Well, you know, do better next time. Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:03 PM

Jackie,
Putting the type of fabric and the kind of batting and washing instructions is a great ideal....especially if you are giving it as a gift....I haven't thought of that, so thanks for the info.
scarlett
Old 03-06-2008, 01:11 PM

I often use premade labels, the kind you buy at the quilt store by the yard. They usually come with several different designs. I tend to use these mostly for smaller projects and stuff I give away. I also will make extra blocks and use one of those as a label. I typically will make one block where I've made a mistake, and those get turned into labels or I use them to practice machine quilt designs to see what I will like with the quilt. I also make my own labels using muslin or whatever fabric I have on hand. I haven't done much printing of my own labels, simply because I am saving all my photocopy fabric to make my in-laws a special memory quilt using pictures from their past.

If the quilt has a name, I always put that first. I put down who the quilt was made for, my name, the city and state where I made the quilt (I've moved a lot so this is important), and obviously the date. Depending on the quilt I will also add a poem or bible verse or some other inspirational saying. I may also add the reason I made the quilt or the inspiration behind it, though I tend to be long winded and that makes for a very long label! :lol:

Many times I will tuck a few squares of fabric I used in the quilt under the label. This is the emergency repair stash. If for some reason the quilt is torn or someone's cat walks across it and tears an area, I can often repair it by undoing a bit of the label, pulling out the appropriate fabric, and restitching the label down. The reason I hide the fabric is that as the quilt is washed, these extra fabrics will wash and fade at the same rate as the quilt top so that when I do use one as a patch the colors don't look different. You can do the same thing by using the fabric to make the sleeve, though that means you often have to repair the sleeve if you need the fabric and I find it's just easier to resew the label. I don't always do this with every quilt, usually just the big ones that are special or aren't going to charity. Hope this helps.
~Tiffany