Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lancaster vs Holmes county, Oh >

Lancaster vs Holmes county, Oh

Lancaster vs Holmes county, Oh

Old 06-24-2014, 09:07 PM

I went to Holmes county a couple of years ago with friends. They stopped at all the quilt shops for me! I started taking pictures while we were traveling, but I just couldn't get over how beautiful the landscapes were, the little towns, all the buggies. I loved it. I'm trying Lancaster county PA this year. I'm SOOO looking forward to it!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 AM

I've been to both, several times each. I find Lancaster to be more commercial overall than Holmes County. We always stay in Berlin in Holmes County, and venture out from there. Tons of places to shop, not only for fabric, but for decorator items too. Lancaster is more "spread out" I think. Maybe it's just because there is so much more traffic. Go to Holmes County if you've never been, and you decide which you like more. I think I prefer Berlin, but that's because I meet my friend there every year for 3 or 4 days. It's a half way point for both of us. Wherever you go, have fun!!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:15 AM

My husband and I went to Charm, OH a few years ago. We found the people there very friendly. While my husband went into a store, I saw a horse and buggy that was parked along a side road. I know better than to take pictures of Amish people, but I thought it'd be okay to take a picture of the horse and buggy. The owner walked up to me and started chatting. He actually gave me a ride in the buggy! I was thrilled, and you should have seen the look on my husband's face when he walked out of the store and saw me in the buggy.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:46 AM

Berlin, Oh also has a year round Christmas store. Fun!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:10 AM

been to both, love them both but Lancaster has more fab. shops but don't miss Ohio for the fun.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:52 AM

I highly recommend country fabrics. It is an outstanding place. I live just east of mount vernon, ohio and I am looking forward to going there again. I plan on going the middle of July. I broke my foot memorial day and have been in a cast. I go to the orthopedic surgeon on Monday and hopefully will get the cast off and wear a boot for 4 weeks. I am hoping it will give me a little more mobility as to where I go shopping. I am off work for 3 months. Long summer to be laid up
Old 07-03-2014, 02:10 AM

Thank you all for your input. I think I might try to get to Ohio later this summer or early fall. I love going up to Lancaster, but it's always nice to have new experiences too and from what you've said, it sounds like I'll enjoy this. I'll probably ask more specific questions when it gets closer to my trip.

Again, thank you. I really do enjoy the kindness I find on this board.