Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Landscape Quilting >

Landscape Quilting

Landscape Quilting

Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 PM

Hi everyone! I have a question on landscape quilting. I am interested in making pine trees look like pine trees. Does anyone have some ideas? I am pretty new at this and am in the middle of making a woodsy landscape with pine trees. I'm not sure how to make the needles on the trees look like a true pine tree. I have thought of embroidery thread. I do not have an embroidery machine just an old machine with limited zigzag options. I've also looked for pine trees, but too small. I would prefer to make my leaves, etc., rather than cutting them out of a fabric. If anyone has some ideas I would appreciate the help. Thanks to all.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:08 AM

Sondra when you are looking at a pine tree from a distance you don't see each pine needle but a group. Look at pictures of pine trees in magazines or out your window( if you're lucky). I would put down a small piece of green fabric for the center of a group and stitch lots of lines away fron it. Cut your fabric in cloud shapes with different sizes and shapes....GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:00 AM

Thanks, your right and I can look at my window at many pine trees. I have several in my yard--duh? Sometimes it takes a knock in the head to make me think. Do you just machine stitch straight lines in a lighter colored thread than the dark green patches I currently have for pine trees? Thanks once again.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:01 AM

I am glad my idea was of help to you...I haven't done any quilting landscapes yet but I am an artist...When working with shapes anything that you want to appear in the background try using darker colors and then a medium color...then in the front a light... I would use different colored threats and different colored fabric...Is this a wall hanging are a quilt?...Is it fused down with something? I would practice on scrapes before I put some on my quilt...Good luck OH ..I would run straight stitches back and forth on and off the fabric....think of how the needles grow when you are doing the stitching....I bet that is as clear as MUD..I am a painter not a writer...HAHA
Old 01-10-2007, 11:05 AM

Hi , wanted to know if any knew of any bargello quilt sites that show you the methods of creating one??? Thanks!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:26 PM

I think Alex Anderson featured a bargello quilt artist this morning. You might check out HGTV site for this morning.

Good luck, Donna
Old 01-17-2007, 07:36 PM

http://www.quiltville.com/scrapbargello.shtml
this one has step by step instructions. i tried it for my 2nd quilt that I made and it worked great! good luck! :D
Old 01-18-2007, 05:04 AM

thank you, i will definetly try it! Lindasue
Old 01-18-2007, 05:07 AM

Thanks Donna, and I did happen to see it. Absolutely beautiful, maybe I should get the book for it too. Thanks for your help! Lindasue
Old 01-19-2007, 07:52 AM

I just completed the center panel of what will become a large quilt for our church. It was a view of the church with trees and shrubbery and I used brown yarn for branches and found a real fuzzy green yarn for pine needles. I used Roxanne's glue baste it to hold it all in place and then used the blind hem stitch to secure it permanently. If you look at it from a distnce, it looks pretty realistic. Some of the larger tres were done with brown fabric and iron on fusible webbing for the trunks and again yarn in 2 different colors for branches and leaves. Check out your local craft store. You'd be amazed at how many different types of yarn that are on the market. I know this is long winded, but I hope it helps you.