Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Landscape Quilts

Blog Entries

Landscape Quilts

I've been looking at a book by Nancy Zieman and Natalie Sewell that a friend sent me a while back. I have been anxiously hunting different fabrics that I can use to try out their process. In the mean time.... Have any of you ever made a landscape quilt? How did you enjoy the process? Will you make another one? Please post here if you have one to show.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.

I have and I had a lot of fun doing them. I do a lot of crafts and it is just another form of art to me. I think if you like doing artistic projects you should try one and see if you like doing it. Good luck.

I have their book and video. I love the process because they make it so easy. I do not like to applique so this technique gives me the opportunity to use fabrics to put together to make the scene. I bought one of their small kits at the Houston Quilt Show a few years ago. Had fun putting it together. It was all fussy cut, fence with flowers growing all around and on the posts. I learned quite a bit from their products. If you are looking for something different to do, I say go for it. You can't ruin it.
    Lizzy in La.

Blog Entries
    I've been having a difficult time locating just the right fabrics. But, when I find enough of them, I'm going to start cutting. Wish me luck!

i love to look at them and admire the artwork but i just dont have that look outside the box brain yet to help you!
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morelcabin View Post
    Landscape quilts are fun! I collect alot of fat quarters in my stash, and that way when the mood hits, I have alot to draw from...fat quarters and scraps

I'm thinking these may just be my new passion. I love creating things!!

I was thinking of making one this yr

I've made one using the same book and accompanying DVD. Loved the process. I used plain muslin as my "pallette" and then started to cut shapes and glued them to the muslin with a glue stick. Once I was sure that I liked that area I stitched it down with clear poly thread then moved on to the next area.

With mine I used all batiks ... that was just what worked out best for what I was creating - sand, sea, sky and a palm tree. I did add some thread painting to it as well when I was finished (in hindsight, I should have backed that area with a stablizer and thread painted it before I quilted it - but I did thread painting and quilting at the same time).

I definitely want to make another landscape quilt some day, but as of now ... too many other projects are competing for my attention.

Pic below and a link to the thread that explained my whole process.

Landscape Quilt - from Illinois, to Jamaica, to the UK
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    I've made one using the same book and accompanying DVD. Loved the process. I used plain muslin as my "pallette" and then started to cut shapes and glued them to the muslin with a glue stick. Once I was sure that I liked that area I stitched it down with clear poly thread then moved on to the next area.

With mine I used all batiks ... that was just what worked out best for what I was creating - sand, sea, sky and a palm tree. I did add some thread painting to it as well when I was finished (in hindsight, I should have backed that area with a stablizer and thread painted it before I quilted it - but I did thread painting and quilting at the same time).

I definitely want to make another landscape quilt some day, but as of now ... too many other projects are competing for my attention.

Pic below and a link to the thread that explained my whole process.

Landscape Quilt - from Illinois, to Jamaica, to the UK

Oh, this is great!! Beautiful!!