Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LAQ Thread Brand Preference >

LAQ Thread Brand Preference

LAQ Thread Brand Preference

Old 07-15-2011, 03:02 AM

I have a question for LAQ's on thread preference, I've read all of the differences between Cotton and poly core. think I am going to stick with cotton and poly core. In terms of weight and brand, what is the favorite weight and brand for each? my dealer has recommended 40 tex poly core by A&E. can't hurt to try it but wanted to hear your opinions first.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

depends on the quilt- and the quilting being done- i've used some fairly heavy threads (30wt) and i've used wonderful silk at (100wt-)and everything in between.
i guess for the most part the quilting threads i use more than others are 40-60 wt threads-
i love the new threads from connecting threads for machine quilting. great color selection, good prices and good company to deal with
Old 07-15-2011, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

I have a new-ish (april of this year) Tin Lizzie. My machine is very accepting of any thread I've tried. I don't seem to have any breakage or tension issues. Up until now, I've used all cottons, but just purchased a spool of the connecting threads poly, which I'm going to try this weekend. I also broke down and bought a cone of King Tut, just to see what all the fuss is about.
So far I've used CT, Coats, Signature, RA, Gutterman and Marathon. All 40 wt. All seem to kick out the same amount of lint. I thoroughly clean my bobbin race each time I change the bobbin.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I am a big fan of Isacord embroidery thread. It is a 40wt thread, 100% poly, lovely colors and beautiful shiney finish and no lint! I like bottom line in the bobbin. Also virtually lint free.

I recently purchased Glide thread (recommended by Karen McTavish) and the same company's magna-glide prewound bobbins but I haven't tried them yet. Also a 100% poly thread. I believe Glide is a 40wt but not positive, it may be 50wt.

Superior has wonderful threads, they are the maker of bottom line. I have used their Rainbows thread and it was very nice but it doesn't like a whole lot of tension or it breaks alot. Took me a while to figure that one out. I do have King Tut but have yet to use any of it yet.

YLI also makes wonderful threads.

By far the thread I have used the most thus far is the Isacord.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 AM

I'm a big fan of Superior threads. I like their cotton King Tut variegated thread with Bottom Line in the bobbin, linty. Their Poly core new Omni thread and use Bottome Line or Omni in the bobbin, minimal linty (my new favorited).

I also have Isacord and Glide and both quilt beautifully, barely any lint. It has a very nice sheen. Out of the two poly threads, I like the Glide the best.

It all depends on the quilt and the look you're going with for which thread is the best.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

I took a cone of Glide from Fil Tec thread to the LA I use and she said it sewed great on her machine. I take her the color I want for my quilting. She is slowly building up her supply of it.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:45 AM

I like connecting threads for the price and it is very good thread and my LA machine doesn't mind it...the only problem I have is that it is extremly linty so extra cleaning is a definite especially in my LA machine...I love poly thread and usually buy Aurfil, even their cotton thread isn't linty or atleast very miminmal....
Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 AM

The A&E your dealer recommended is what I have used for the four years I've been LA quilting and I have had no problems with any of their thread. I buy from Kingsmen Quilting because they have great prices on these threads.