Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
large quilt >

large quilt

large quilt

Old 05-01-2014, 03:57 AM

I usually use the living room floor, but that involves moving pretty much all of the furniture, which exhausts me as I am not very well at the moment.
Last time I had two quilt tops ready for basting I borrowed the hall of my mum's school (she is a headteacher) but she's retiring at the end of the school year so I won't be able to do that for much longer!
I've considered renting out the local community centre and I think that will be my plan for the future!
When using a table set up how do you reach the centre? I crawl around all over the floor when basting so I just can't picture using a table set up.
Also I spray baste using 505 spray, I haven't got the energy for pins!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I use to go and pin baste my larger quilts at my LQS when the class room was available. There are so many places as listed above such as a church, library or community hall. Don't get down on your knees. Enjoy the process.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:22 AM

I have used my garage wall to hand the backing, etc., from and I manage to get it to hang straight.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I glue baste my quilt in sections. Lay the batting down first and then the back on top of that. Fold back the back to about the size of the table you're working on and let the rest hang off the table. Stream your glue in a zig zag pattern and fold the back up over it. Smooth out with your hands and let dry a few hours then move the bat and back to a new position and repeat the process. Make sure you use washable glue. There are a lot of postings on this board about washable school glue basting so if you're not familiar with it check those out.
This is the way I have done several quilts.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 PM

An LQS near me will let you usue their classroom tables when there isn't a scheduled class.If you have one near by, ask. The worst they can say is no.