Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
large quilt >

large quilt

large quilt

Old 04-30-2014, 12:01 PM

Default large quilt

How do you sandwich a large quilt? It is king size and I do not have a space large enough
Old 04-30-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by hhmomma View Post
How do you sandwich a large quilt? It is king size and I do not have a space large enough
Go to your church hall and push 4 tables together. Our library has a public learning center in which they can set up tables, and our town hall also has such tables.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Go to your church hall and push 4 tables together. Our library has a public learning center in which they can set up tables, and our town hall also has such tables.
Oh what great ideas!
Old 04-30-2014, 12:15 PM

Or do it in steps - not ideal, but possible! Get yourself the biggest table (or floor) space you can, baste as much as you can, and then slide it all over and do another section. Keep part of your already-basted quilt on top of the table and use that as your starting point, smoothing out from there and basting it together. I've had to do this before and it works but it's not much fun.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Go to your church hall and push 4 tables together.
I use the tables in our Family Life Center. They work well.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Sharon Shamber has a pretty nifty method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

Here's the 2nd part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjBGz5vGQ

Last edited by dunster; 04-30-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:24 PM

I built a frame out of 1 x 3 boards, bolted together. I lean it up against my garage and have large push pins that I use to attach the layers to the frame and then I thread baste. I can drill additional holes for the bolts if I need to change the size. I basted one quilt that was about 7 x 9 feet on it. One set of sides is ten feet and the others are 8 feet.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:13 PM

I glue baste my quilt in sections. Lay the batting down first and then the back on top of that. Fold back the back to about the size of the table you're working on and let the rest hang off the table. Stream your glue in a zig zag pattern and fold the back up over it. Smooth out with your hands and let dry a few hours then move the bat and back to a new position and repeat the process. Make sure you use washable glue. There are a lot of postings on this board about washable school glue basting so if you're not familiar with it check those out.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

our small community center allows me to go in & use the floor, or put tables together and work on a large quilt when they have nothing going on. I've also used the legion hall, the library, a church and a friends finished basement floor.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:11 AM

I sandwich in stages as well. I use my cutting table which is the one with the folding sides that lots of folks here have. I've done king size quilts on it as well. Start in the center. I use big binder clips around all 4 sides of the table. Clip the backing in place; then the batting and re-use the same clips and then follow suit with the top. For a king I would probably thread baste vs pins as it will cut down on the weight of the quilt tremendously.

ETA - Once I get the center section basted, I move the whole mess to the side and start the process over again and repeat as necessary to get the whole quilt basted.

Last edited by NJ Quilter; 05-01-2014 at 03:24 AM.