Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Latest about Mary Ellen Hopkins >

Latest about Mary Ellen Hopkins

Latest about Mary Ellen Hopkins

Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

Her "It's Okay if You Sit On My Quilt Book" - is one of the BEST, in my opinion. It's one I've actually gone through more than once. It has a very practical, functional approach to quilt making.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

Newbies probably don't know about Georgia Bonesteel, Sharleen Jorgenson, Billie Lauder, or Kaye Wood. All but Billie had quilt tv shows way before Alex Anderson and Fons and Porter. You tube has many of the shows and Billie's tricks to shortcut quilting.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 PM

I'd love to send her a card. Wouldn't it be cool if we all send cards to her? We could flood her with cards to brighten her day. Where should we send it?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:18 PM

I would love to send her a card. Even if we can't get her personal address, perhaps someone would collect the cards and get them to her.

Mary Ellen Hopkins is my favorite quilter. She taught me to enjoy what I am doing and also have some simple projects to do as mindless sewing. I have her books hole punched (local print shop) and together in a large three ring binder.

Our small quilting group just put together three scrappy lap quilts of my 3.5 inch blocks (9 patch, 4 patch, and half square triangles) for donation to our local VA hospital. The fourth quilt went to my DH, retired Navy vet, who appreciates our quilting for charity.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Jim

I love Mary Ellen, I made a beautiful HUGE stack and whack per her instructions from an appearance on Alex Anderson's show Simply Quilts. She was always so fiesty and full of spunk, she made quilting fun! I think she would so love to get a nice collection of cards from fans. I'd love to be able to Thank her for such quilting inspiration.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 AM

Wasnt she the first one to make connecting corners a popular method of adding triangles to square corners?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 AM
Banned

Mary Ellen was the one who introduced the idea of "one's personal seam allowance" as well as refer to the rotary cutter as the "quilters pizza cutter". We had an almost tradition that when we saw each other coming down an aisle at a quilt show we would throw our arms wide and run toward each other and embrase, like they did in the 40's movies. She got me into machine quilting by inviting me to her shop to work privately with her machine quilting teacher. I still have the piece. She owned a shop in Santa Monica Ca called "Crazy Ladies and Friends".
If you can get a copy of her "Its Ok To Sit on My Quilt" I recommend it. So much information in the book.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:37 AM

Mary Ellen was such a good teacher and made it all so much fun. I loved her and have wondered about her. Happy to hear she is still enjoying life!!.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:47 AM

I had to read to know who she is too. But, when I read the Title "Its Okay To Sit On My Quilts" I recognized that! So glad she is doing well!! Its hard to give up something you love. But, sometimes age does that to us.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 AM

I often wondered what happenned to her. I loved watching her on TV, she was a riot! Glad to get the update.