Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Latest obsession is >

Latest obsession is

Latest obsession is

Old 06-01-2013, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
Sounds like fun and a great way to feed your habit! Good luck on your hunts!
I fought an awfully strong urge to stop at Goodwill closest to home. I bought a bunch of fabric the last two stops there.

Oh, a one very pretty green/pink/white dust ruffle. For a dollar, there's a lot of fabric on one. This one was barely used
Old 06-01-2013, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Barbwork View Post
I am so happy to read your blog and the responders. I recently joined the QB and have been reading responses and looking at photos. I got the impression hat if I used anything but the "best" of everything, the quilt police would be watching for my projects. Glad to see there are real people on this board, doing real people things. Congratulations on your first and many finds to come.

Again, MY ancestors made quilts for whatever they had. I make rag blankets from whatever I can find.
Heck, even the real police don't scare me too much
Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by bennie0755 View Post
Me too! I picked up 17 skeins of the same color yarn at a local "antique" store for $5. I'm making baby blankets for the church. I've just started quilting, and don't have much of a "stash", but I did find some fabric that had been intended for square dance dresses that are going to become quilts!
We need to all get together and make a thrift store run--------------nope we might hurt each other. Better idea--------buy every bit of fabric/sheets/big skirts/shirts we and find then have a swap party. Keep what you love and trade the rest. When done swapping we can draw names and the LOSER has to take all the leftovers.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
GrannieAnnie......I have been doing this for years. I started doing it way back when I still had small children at home, then got away from it as money was better but have since gotten back into the hunt...thats the best part.
Have fun and congrats on your frugal quilts...as I like to call them.
I've been doing it a long time, too. Thursday was just an exceptional trip.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by sandypants View Post
I happen to get lucky finding fabric yesterday while out rummaging. I got pieces of very nice quilting fabric. The 1/2 yards for 50 cents and 1 yard for 75 cents. I felt it was my duty to relieve this lady the burden of her having too much fabric. I also found lots of Rick rack, lace and bias tape. I sew a lot of AG doll clothes and can use all of these treasures. A good day for me....yeah
I've already got more lace than one human needs. I do need some ric-rac ot finish out some novelty pillowcases, though.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Don't forget to check out the estate sales, especially where they have big girl and big guy sizes. I got an old sundress (cotton) for $2.00 (size 22) and couple of blouses for $1.00 ea. Almost 9 yds of fabric.. Then at night I get out the seam ripper while watching TV. I save every piece. I've reused zippers on other items or trade with a neighbor. My neighbor crochets. She goes after yarn pieces. We trade because if we see something either of us can use we get it and trade. So much fun.

I'm bordering on insanity===========I love to sit in front of the TV with a seam ripper in my hands.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Again, MY ancestors made quilts for whatever they had. I make rag blankets from whatever I can find.
Heck, even the real police don't scare me too much
BarbWork......years ago when I very first started making what I call sandwich quilts & just tied my quilts I used lots of sheets for backing. Still do if I know they are going to some of my kids because they just want a blanket made by mom don't necessary take care of things the way they should. I was rudely told those are not quilts, I was crushed because as I got better making 9 patchs & the more easier basic cuts [w/o any rulers] I was pretty darn proud of myself. I was raised by parents that taught me not to waste anything and I continue w/ that thought. I don't make my quilts to be judged, they are made w/ love and unless others are lying to me they have been appreciated over the years. Yes sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to afford nothing but the best but this is a hobby for me & I love the hunt.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
When we were living in Indpls there were 5 Value Villages and I would hit them as often as possible.I always found fabric's. JoAnn's donated a lot of stuff they could not sell, mostly because it was to expensive. I scored really big once. Minnesota Fabrics went out of business and their entire stock went to V V. stores $5 for a grocery bag of notions-whole bolts of fabric and batting from $10 to $25 -I filled my little Astro van. DH had to help unload and he said I was more excited than a kid turned loose in a candy store.
Oh my I had forgotton all about Value Village...when I lived in Seattle and had a house full of kids that was one of my favorite places to go...I have a ton of yarn I have also picked up at thrift sales. Alot of my house is furnished w/ recycled items, I love turning a item into something beautiful & useful. Spray paint is your friend..lol
Old 06-03-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
BarbWork......years ago when I very first started making what I call sandwich quilts & just tied my quilts I used lots of sheets for backing. Still do if I know they are going to some of my kids because they just want a blanket made by mom don't necessary take care of things the way they should. I was rudely told those are not quilts, I was crushed because as I got better making 9 patchs & the more easier basic cuts [w/o any rulers] I was pretty darn proud of myself. I was raised by parents that taught me not to waste anything and I continue w/ that thought. I don't make my quilts to be judged, they are made w/ love and unless others are lying to me they have been appreciated over the years. Yes sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to afford nothing but the best but this is a hobby for me & I love the hunt.
I'll guarantee you a comment like that would make me angry--------I'd fight back somehow. Maybe demand a dictionary to let her/him prove their point.

Please, dear Crafti, next time just laugh and KNOW that person is blowing smoke.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I'll guarantee you a comment like that would make me angry--------I'd fight back somehow. Maybe demand a dictionary to let her/him prove their point.

Please, dear Crafti, next time just laugh and KNOW that person is blowing smoke.
GrannieAnnie, I now am mature enough I just smile & walk away, I don't need snobs in my life. My sewing/quilting makes me happy & as far as I am concerned thats all that matters.