Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A Laugh For You - My First Quilt Stencil

A Laugh For You - My First Quilt Stencil

LOL, I am getting into quilting and bought my first stencil template. It has swirling flower shapes and I knew it was a hard one to start with but I loved it. I've never free motion quilited and didn't even know if I had to for the stencil but I googled and apparently I do. Set my machine up with it's free motion foot, read a lot of my machine's manual and off I went.

The lady at the store had already shown me how the stencil is cleverly designed so that one line leads to another. I was, wonder of wonders, smart enough to know I should practice so I drew good heavy, easy to follow lines and I used stablizer.

Tie off, stitch to end of traced line, tie off, move to next line; tie off, stitch curve around to end of line, tie off; move small amount to next line, stitch next part of same curve, tie off and so on. "Boy", I'm thinking to myself, "It's really not going to be fun cutting out all those little pieces of thread that join each stitched line between the tie offs."

And that's when the light bulb went on, finally. LOL. The stencil only has gaps in the lines to hold it together. If all the gaps were cut out and the lines were continuous the stencil would fall apart. I'm supposed to sew through the gaps to the next line, none of that stopping and starting and tieing off stuff. Needless to say, the last two thirds of my practice piece went a lot faster than the beginning did.

Hope I explained this well enough that you are all having a good chuckle. I know I did.

Blog Entries
    We've all had those moments!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    It is kinda funny! But you figured it out and that's what counts!

Good story! There have been many lightbulb moments for me. Amazing what can be accomplished when that lightbulb goes on!

You are braver than I am! You tried it, learned how & did it. Good for you!

Too funny! At least you have a sense of humor. Practice helps.
    Linda

Hilarious! At least you knew to trace the pattern onto the quilt-- as I was reading I was thinking you were going to tell us you tried to sew through the holes in the stencil and wound up sewing the plastic to your quilt!

Good for you, and you did not get very far before you figured it out!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Join the crowd. We all make goofies! Makes us better people.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.

It's good we can laugh at ourselves when we do things like this!! Glad you figured it out! I'm sure I've done worse things!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast