Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layer cake...have you made a quilt with one of these? >

Layer cake...have you made a quilt with one of these?

Layer cake...have you made a quilt with one of these?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 PM

I used a layer cake to make a large twister quilt.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 PM

Love your quilt. Love the colors.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:04 AM

I made a layer cake for my DD for Christmas and have three in the works now. Sure saves a lot of time and work in using the precut fabric. Wish our local stores carried a bigger selection.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:23 AM

I've found patterns in quilt magazines, too. I made a neat quilt by cutting circles out of an entire layer cake... I think it was 8" circles, then stitching the circles AND the remainder part of the 10" piece to a simple background color. Then arranged all the pieces into a quilt. The circles and squares were stitched using raw-edge applique and frayed beautifully when washed. You'll see this quilt on the Allpeoplequilt site. click on quilts using precuts... It was for a niece when she was a baby, but I chose a layer cake that would "grow" with her... not too baby-ish, not too girl-ish, either... can't remember, of course, but pretty sure it was Moda...
LOVE layer cakes!!

Last edited by running1; 04-02-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by running1 View Post
I've found patterns in quilt magazines, too. I made a neat quilt by cutting circles out of an entire layer cake... I think it was 8" circles, then stitching the circles AND the remainder part of the 10" piece to a simple background color. Then arranged all the pieces into a quilt. The circles and squares were stitched using raw-edge applique and frayed beautifully when washed. You'll see this quilt on the Allpeoplequilt site. click on quilts using precuts... It was for a niece when she was a baby, but I chose a layer cake that would "grow" with her... not too baby-ish, not too girl-ish, either... can't remember, of course, but pretty sure it was Moda...
LOVE layer cakes!!
This sounds like a fun quilt! I will put it on my "to do" list! Thanks!! I am off to look at it now.

Dina
Old 04-02-2013, 08:24 AM

just google "free layer cake patterns" and you find a bunch. Also, Moda's website has a lot as well as MSQC.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
I used a layer cake for this:

http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...ice-quilt.html

It was super fun to make and ended up looking pretty great.
I like that! I have a layer cake that has been pining away for a project - this looks like a good one.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 AM

Connecting Threads has 15-18 pc layer cakes, called stack 10" squares for $9.95 each. You might have to order 2-3 but would have lots of squares.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Cool Books for use with layer cakes

I bought two books with patterns just for the patterns because I do not buy layer cakes but the patterns in these books are too hard to by pass. The books are a fun read too. the way the patterns are written is that they are set up from a stand point assuming you have either 10 (layer cake) or 5 inch (charms) squares. what is fun is that each pattern has pictures and direction for a quilt make with 10 inch squares and then a pattern of a smaller similar quilt made with 5 inch squares.

http://www.amazon.com/Schnibbles-Tim.../dp/1564779866
quilt books with layer cake patterns

http://www.amazon.com/Another-Bite-S...d_bxgy_b_img_y

Here are two 3 quilts made with patterns from these books. The red quilt is made with 5 inch squares and the other two quilts a cal king and a lap quilt that are similar that are made with 10 inch or layer cake squares. I just used a scrap bag of solids I bought for the red quilt and Fat Quarters and other yardage for the other two quilts. I altered a lot for the cal king.
Attached Thumbnails 632-custom-.jpg   591-custom-.jpg   img_6555-custom-.jpg  
Old 04-03-2013, 06:21 AM

I have never used layer cakes. I enjoy choosing and matching my own fabrics too much. Great quilt.