Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layer cake shrinking!! >

Layer cake shrinking!!

Layer cake shrinking!!

Old 06-03-2011, 02:29 AM

Last fall I bought several layer cake collections from Connecting Threads and when I pulled them out to make a large Twister quilt I found they were wrinkled, so I grabbed a can of Magic sizing and set about giving them a good pressing. You will not believe how some squares shrunk up when the spray hit them!!! Some almost a half inch in size and stayed there after the pressing....some fabrics stayed the same. I don't know if this is ''normal'' with all LC or just the differences in the quality of fabrics in those Connecting Threads collections. I really do like the majority of the fabrics in the collections but there are a few ( the ones that really shrank up) that I didn't like the feel of. So, I am hoping that my big Twister will work with blocks that were trimed down to a 9 1/2 inch square......

Was I wrong to iron a layer cake??? but then if I hadn't ironed them, wouldn't the shrinking really have been a major problem doen the road. I press ALL my yardage fabrics before I cut with Magic spray sizing and never ever have a shrinking problem......

jodi
Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 AM

I have lots of Connecting Threads fabric and I just completed a charm square quilt with the Canterbury line. I haven't washed it yet but I am hoping none of the fabric shrinks. I am getting mad compliments on the quilt. I did one before with the Sip of Summer line and it did well in the wash so it may just be certain fabrics.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

i don't think it has anything to do with Connecting Threads quality of fabrics- if it was a layer cake it should contain fabrics from all the same collection- which means the fabric (should) be all the same quality---
unfortunately sometimes something seems to go wrong in the manufacturing process.
i think you should send an email to Connecting Threads describing the problem...
they may have advice- they may even replace the layer cake- (if its a line still available) you never know- but it's worth it to let them know this happened.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i don't think it has anything to do with Connecting Threads quality of fabrics- if it was a layer cake it should contain fabrics from all the same collection- which means the fabric (should) be all the same quality---
unfortunately sometimes something seems to go wrong in the manufacturing process.
i think you should send an email to Connecting Threads describing the problem...
they may have advice- they may even replace the layer cake- (if its a line still available) you never know- but it's worth it to let them know this happened.
I'd certainly let Connecting Threads know and maybe even send them one of the pieces that shrunk (shrank?). There maybe nothing they can do but they should know about it anyway.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

I would let Connecting Threads know. They might replace it.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:57 AM

As for the spray sizing, I read on this board about someone who washed their fabric and dried it and it didn't shrink. However, when they sprayed it with sizing and ironed it, it shrank. I remember it well, because I'mm planning on using that technique to shrink the middle of a quilt I'm working on to get it to the right size.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 AM

I have used Magic spray sizing on ALL my unwashed fabrics before I begin cutting my strips or blocks and have absoutly NO shrinking of the finished quilt at all. I spray well and then iron back and forth, north and south to ''cause'' all the shrinking possible before I begin cutting......

After fighting with these layer cakes, I doubt that I will use the rest as ''layer cakes'' but spray, iron and then cut them into proper size pieces for another quilt. The price was too good to pass on...

jodi