Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layering your quilt >

Layering your quilt

Layering your quilt

Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 PM

I recently read some information on 505 basting spray. It said that it worked really well for layering your quilt. Has anybody used this and how do they like it?

What do you use to layer your quilts? Do you use safety pins, baste with thread, or use those quilt guns?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:09 PM

You should try the search button at the top of your screen. If you type in "spray basting" you will see several threads, some even recent, that we've had on the subject.

I have spray adhesive as opposed to spray basting. I used it for the first time a few weeks ago and had no problems the first couple of days. I'm glad I chose to pin baste as well, just not as many as without the spray, as the spray wore off in a couple days. I'm sure it was my error or using the wrong spray. When this can is gone, I'll look for the other stuff.

M
Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 PM

Thank-you M for the information I will check it out.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by brainless
I recently read some information on 505 basting spray. It said that it worked really well for layering your quilt. Has anybody used this and how do they like it?

What do you use to layer your quilts? Do you use safety pins, baste with thread, or use those quilt guns?
I have used all of these methods. My favorite is spray basting, although I admit I haven't done it on a large quilt yet. It was really, really fast and therefore easy on my back for the small quilts I did. The layers stayed sandwiched for a very long time; never had any problem with separation. I did not pin or baste with thread either. The biggest difficulty with the gun was creating the space required underneath the quilt sandwich because at the time I was clamping the layers to a large table (a la Harriet Hargrave, I think?).

Prior to discovering spray basting, my favorite method was the quilt gun. If you purchase one of these, be sure to buy the better quality gun that uses the finer plastic darts. I don't know if they still make them, but some of the earlier guns were cheaper, used thicker darts, and had a tendency to jam. My gun never jammed on me and never left big holes in my fabrics. (Guns may not be suitable for batiks and heavier cotton broadcloth types of fabric; these are more tightly woven than regular quilting cottons, and I have heard of guns leaving holes in this type of fabric. You would definitely want to test before using a gun on these.)

Before I had the gun, I pin-basted the quilts I intended to machine quilt and thread-basted the quilts I wanted to hand quilt. To do these quilts, I mounted them on my homemade frame. This is simply 4 2x4s to which I stapled doubled-over fabric leaders and marked measurements from the center out to each side. I used C-clamps to fasten the 4 wooden pieces to each other, propping the ends on kitchen chairs. I pinned the backing to the leaders first, matching middles, and created my sandwich from there. I actually liked this system, but it was time-consuming because of the rolling and re-pinning needed for a bed-sized quilt, and ultimately it became too much for my back. It worked best for small quilts. Twin-sized quilts had a tendency to sag in the middle.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:27 PM

Thanks Prism. That is what I wanted to know, how spray basting compares to other methods. I'm definitely going to have to try the spray basting.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by brainless

I've used safety pins and basted with thread...never used a quilt gun but have had serious thoughts about using a gun on some of my quilts that just wouldn't cooperate and do what I wanted them to do. lol.
Maybe squirting 'em with a water pistol just to vent a little. :wink:
Old 02-14-2009, 05:21 AM

Hi,

I use 505 all the time for putting my layers together......works the best of any spray adhesive I've tried. It also doesn't have the odor that some do, a few give me a headache within minutes.
I put my backing down on the table or floor, then the batting on top, fold the batting back halfway, spray it, unfold back on backing and smooth.....repeat with other side. Then I put the top on top of the batting and pull it halfway back, spray the batting, and so forth.
I was taught to always spray the batting instead of the fabric.
How does everyone else do it??

I love 505 spray....don't use pins or baste anymore at all. I also don't do as heavy a spray as some.....you have to find your own style with it.

Bev
Old 02-14-2009, 05:21 AM

Hi,

I use 505 all the time for putting my layers together......works the best of any spray adhesive I've tried. It also doesn't have the odor that some do, a few give me a headache within minutes.
I put my backing down on the table or floor, then the batting on top, fold the batting back halfway, spray it, unfold back on backing and smooth.....repeat with other side. Then I put the top on top of the batting and pull it halfway back, spray the batting, and so forth.
I was taught to always spray the batting instead of the fabric.
How does everyone else do it??

I love 505 spray....don't use pins or baste anymore at all. I also don't do as heavy a spray as some.....you have to find your own style with it.

Bev
Old 02-14-2009, 05:24 AM

Whoops....hit submit twice! Was talking to my husband and didn't realize I all ready hit the button.

Sorry........

Bev
Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM

Too funny! I just finished pinning :) This is an interesting subject. I've never used the spray adhesive, but I'll have to give it a try at least once. Presently, I like the "secure" feeling of a well -pinned top. I can move it off my dining table, fold it until I'm ready for it, and know it's going to be just how I left it. Also, this might be wierd, but I enjoy the act of pinning. I devote the time involved as a celebration of the end of piecing and the true beginning of the finishing work. The yummy part, although I love all aspects of quilting.