Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
laying out a quilt >

laying out a quilt

laying out a quilt

Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

i laid out a king size one on the driveway once! but i tied that one. since the floor is so difficult for me to get up off of these days, i use a folding table if pinning. but mostly now i use fusible batting or basting spray. i do the center, then the ends.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Dix

Originally Posted by quiltykim
Hi all,

I am making my first "big" quilt (81 x 81 inches) and wondered...I have rearranged the furniture in our living room to lay the thing out. Is that what you all do? Or is there some large space that I am missing or an easier way to do this? Thanks much!
We always pin ours at church. Sometimes during our class and sometimes we 3 or 4 of us will meet before choir and pin one. The big tables are great. Usually we put 3 tables together and can get a big one pinned in just a little while.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 AM

I guess I'm lucky. our living room is very long and wide with not a lot of furniture. I just lay my quilts out on the floor and stick a pin through the carpet.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:59 AM

I velcroed an old flannel sheet to the wall in my sewing room. For pinning the layers together, many quilt shops will let you use their class-room tables. Push as many tables together as needed and pin away. Just ask at your lqs. It is good p.r. for them. Quilters are more likely to shop at a user friendly store. :lol: :lol: Pam
Old 01-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I am very lucky. There is a group of ladies in my church who like quilting and we use the church kitchen and its wonderful big tables.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 AM

does anyone have any problems when pinning the quilt on the table with the table getting scratched. I was thinking of our church table and wouldn't want that to happen to them. my sister has taped cutting mats on her table. My folding table is so rough with scratch marks made by pins, I do the Harriet Hargrave method. I am too old (65) and knees too sore to do them on the floor totally anymore, I lay the quilt out on the floor and just pin enough to pick it up to finish on the table. I still get an occassional pucker on the back. I still want to learn more about machine quilting. I really like quilting that way.

Junie
Old 01-21-2010, 08:42 AM

In my living room, the couch goes along 2 walls. I've fought long and hard to keep a coffee table out of there, so that I can use that space to layout my quilts