Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Layout of Blocks such as Loralie, etc-NEED HELP

Layout of Blocks such as Loralie, etc-NEED HELP

Hi,

Does anyone have pictures or suggestions as to how I should design/layout blocks that are pre-printed such as Loralie blocks, etc. I saw one where the person put different sized strips and squares scattered throughout and around the pre-printed Loralie blocks. The Loralie blocks were scattered too. Do most of you just start cutting pieces, arrange them and then sew them together first? Do you then start working them around the blocks? My brain gets overwhelmed, but I soooo want to make one like the one that I saw. It had oodles of different sized squares and rectangles throughout. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Kathy
    Kathy

The first picture is a Loralie panel, Nifty Nurses, I made for my DDIL who was graduating as an R.N. The second is a different panel, a baby quilt. I always find it a little hard to cut up panels for a quilt because they're never quite the right size, and often aren't printed straight on grain.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

my dd designed one like that on eq it helped her alot
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    The first picture is a Loralie panel, Nifty Nurses, I made for my DDIL who was graduating as an R.N. The second is a different panel, a baby quilt. I always find it a little hard to cut up panels for a quilt because they're never quite the right size, and often aren't printed straight on grain.
    OMG Dunster---- That Babyquilt!!!!!! How cute is that...........
    Christina

Love both of your quilts! Thank you so much for the help
    Kathy

Blog Entries
    I like dunster's answer. I also have found the panel pics to not be square and hard to straighten. I try to use a fabric that will hid the wonkyness of the panel.
    Joyce

Blog Entries
    Cute idea for the nurse panels. I purchased one for a dil and this would be a great way to put them together. Thanks for showing your quilt.
    GrannyQ