Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layout Hint >

Layout Hint

Layout Hint

Old 06-10-2014, 07:20 AM

I do this also. I'm so grateful I have an unused king sized bed!
Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac View Post
When I'm doing a scrappy type quilt with blocks that are not all the same ... I lay them out on the floor or bed or design wall, and move everything around until I'm happy. Then I label them with little pieces of masking tape, identifying the rows with letters and the columns with numbers (A1, A2 ... An, B1, B2 ...Bn). Kind of like a spreadsheet.

Then I can always get them back into the right order if I lose track as I sew rows together.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Gerbie, I have a portable design wall that fits just about anywhere. If you have some flannel good size you can attach a couple I use 4 skirt/pant hangers. The hangers hooks that swivel. You can hook them up to a window or even a couple cabinets/shelves. They fold easy for storage or portability. Super inexpensive. Hangers are about $5.00 for a 4 pack at Wallyworld.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:45 AM

I have a tough time getting things back together also.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:45 AM

I love these aha moments when the lights come on....
Old 06-10-2014, 08:37 AM

Note on the numbered pins. If you already have the flower head pins, you can mark them with a sharpie!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=cat-on-a-mac;6750823]When I'm doing a scrappy type quilt with blocks that are not all the same ... I lay them out on the floor or bed or design wall, and move everything around until I'm happy. Then I label them with little pieces of masking tape, identifying the rows with letters and the columns with numbers (A1, A2 ... An, B1, B2 ...Bn). Kind of like a spreadsheet.

this is how i did all my quilts until my son got me a ipad a couple years ago. i had used a camera lens for ligh/med/drk balance for years, but had never thought of taking pic to use as a placement reference. no computer screen in my sewing area anyway. i was working on a very very scrappy quilt at time i recieved the ipad...took a pic of block place ment before i took down to wash the blocks (please don't feint ..i do things a little different than other quilters ... ) then set the ipad on table after i had all my blocks of little tiny patches pressed and ready to place back on wall to be joined together. a photo of block placement for any tops you are working on is, to me now, essential. doing a couple of scrappy d9p's later the ipad photos allowed hubs & i to decide which layouts we liked best. there were a couple possibilities for each top. our little grand treasures loved what we decided was "just right". )
Old 06-10-2014, 09:43 AM

Camera works great for me too. You can also take phone photo and email it to yourself to display big on your laptop.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by grammy17 View Post
This may have been said thousands of times before. I didn't see it if it did.

I have my design all perfect on my design wall. Then take things down to sew or iron or square up or whatever. When I get back I CANNOT get it back the way it is supposed to be!

Maybe I'm the only one but I doubt that.

Today! I took a picture of the final layout. Then uploaded in on my computer. Put the blown up picture on my computer screen. I can put everything back where it belongs!

I am so happy.

Hope this helps someone else.

Grammy 17
soon to be Grammy 19 and then maybe 21.
That's what I like to do as well, especially where it is not a clear cut transfer from design wall to sewing machine. It does help dramatically. It's particularly helpful when I do a layout on our king size bed (Really big projects) vs. using the design wall (smaller projects or centers), since my studio is not that close to our bedroom.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 PM

And I have a "new crawling grand daughter" that is zooming and can change a floor layout in seconds. A I phone is critical to my sanity.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac View Post
When I'm doing a scrappy type quilt with blocks that are not all the same ... I lay them out on the floor or bed or design wall, and move everything around until I'm happy. Then I label them with little pieces of masking tape, identifying the rows with letters and the columns with numbers (A1, A2 ... An, B1, B2 ...Bn). Kind of like a spreadsheet.

Then I can always get them back into the right order if I lose track as I sew rows together.
{{{slap on the forehead}}} Why have I not thought of using masking tape (or freezer tape like my mom used to stick all over the place) before? I use little post-it notes with a pin (the adhesive doesn't last very well on fabric).