Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leah Day ....She's talking about me!!! >

Leah Day ....She's talking about me!!!

Leah Day ....She's talking about me!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:45 PM

Default Leah Day ....She's talking about me!!!

The Density Question
http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...-question.html

In what seems to be my never ending, relentless search for the answer to...how to make my quilt soft, cuddly and slightly puffy while FMQ"ing?....I have finally asked Leah Day in a comment on her blog...and here is her answer!!! She used my question (and name!) in her blog! Seems I have been trying for something that is for all practical purposes...not obtainable at time of creation! Lot of things to try and experiment with...but in the end..it will be what it will be.
Oh well, like she says...let's go quilt!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:41 PM

That is great. That is so neat that she used your question. I agree with her. I tend to over do the quilting. It does relax after a few washings and I know my quilts at home are being used and abused. They are tents, the kids drag each other around on them, they are always on the floor being walked on. Even the ones that are quilted pretty heavy, are still cuddly. I think it really depends on the batting you use. When I quilt, I just have fun with it and quilt it however I want it to look.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

It's true that quilts soften with washings. Cotton batting, especially, gets softer with every washing. I just know that when I used a close stipple and regular thread on a doll quilt, the poor quilt came out stiff as a board and never softened up! This may not be as much of a problem with larger quilts, but ever since I put all that work into the doll quilt I have taken care to use fine thread for quilting and not quilt lines super close together!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:45 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Quality cotton fabrics, wool batting, handquilting, and several washings and dryings......my "go to" when wanting a soft quilt.

Jan in VA
Old 10-25-2012, 04:05 AM

I don't want my quilts to feel like a mattress pad either so I think large quilting motifs and less quilting is better. I have done hand quilting also and it is usually much softer because of the less densely placed motifs. I really think this is the key. With today's batting we don't really need such close quilting to keep the batting from falling apart. Hope this helps!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:36 AM

While Leah Day's quilting is wonderful, I can't imagine sleeping under one of those closely quilted pieces . They look fabulous for wall hangings, but for a snuggly bed quilt, less quilting is better. Just think of know snuggly a tied quilt is, and you get the idea.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

That is so cool !
Old 10-25-2012, 08:14 AM

I made a comment on another blog and this is what Martha says..
http://www.machinequilter.blogspot.com
I think my first problem will be changing thread..use Polyester instead of 100% cotton. But I have used flannel as batting and fleece for back and that does make a really soft quilt...but at least in my case of this particulare quilt...it was pretty "flat" looking. So I need a middle one...not to flat, but not to puffy and still soft and cuddly!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 PM

Besides not feeling good, I just don't like the look of all that quilting! I think this is a case of less is more, if you prefer a soft quilt.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:27 PM

I liked Leah's comment about what she'll do if the quilt is too stiff. "Wash it as often as I can, ,.................. and beat the snot out of it.