Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Learned a lesson...maybe

Learned a lesson...maybe

I notice from posts by board members that quilters often make all the blocks for a finished quilt & then play with how to arrange the blocks as sometimes there are many options resulting in very different looks. I, on the other hand, just can't wait to see what it will look like so I tend to put together the blocks as I finish a row so I can see what I've got. Unfortunately, I was doing this with my Hunter Star quilt that I started a couple of weeks ago even though I knew I would likely run out of one of the fabrics... Well, it happened. I ran out & don't have enough to finish with the arrangement I committed to by sewing together what I had done! So, I spent last evening separating the blocks and looking at new arrangements with an added coordinating boarder to fill it out. Did I learn something? Maybe, but I still really like seeing what I've got so far & might do it again Does anyone else put together their blocks as they go or is this just a sign of my inexperience?
    Shannon

Never. I always complete all my blocks and then play. Rearranging them countless times before committing. My guest bed is my design board.

I don't find a need to do that with a design wall. you can see how it all looks without the commitment.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    I like to make my blocks and put them on my design wall. This way i can play and also make sure everything is where it is suppose to be. But-----i have also spent many an evening with my seam ripper. Just part of the fun.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    i never sew the blocks together until they are all done... too many things can go 'wrong' or i can change my mind
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    A camera is an excellent aid to memory. I take a photo of each arrangement choice as I tend to forgot what goes where and it also helps to show up design flaws. It's amazing what I fail to see until I look at the image.

You DID learn something. A lesson you will remember forever.

I always put the blocks together after playing with the arrangement. Even when the blocks are identical, I wait until they are completed before putting them together.

I always put my blocks together as I go, but I usually have already decided what I want to construct before I ever start. Maybe I'll try the other way some day?

I always play with layout after all blocks are complete

to make a design wall, I simply thumbtacked a queen-sized batt to the wall. I put the blocks there as I finish. I have also used a camera which was good as I saw a mistake in the photo that I missed in the blocks and it would have upset me to the point of unsewing if I'd noticed it later.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast